Be a mensch, don't wear fleece

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
You want a factually impeccable scare story about the oceans? Well, it is full - and I'm talking millions upon millions of tons - of uranium, and its affecting all sealife living in it, from phytoplankton upwards to the great whales.

The other side of this scare - and there is always another side - is that the sea has always been loaded with uranium, and it is from this same sea that our remote ancestors crawled.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
flush washing machine water over the garden not down the sewer. It is full of fruit producing phosphates. I e-mailed unilever to ask if watering my plants with the grey water from my washing machine was harmful, because it seemed to increase the yield. They never replied.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And everything evolved with that uranium as part and parcel of the entire thing. Plastics are our very recent issue.

I'm told that gray water fed willow beds are superb producers.

M

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Yes Andy BB, your quite correct but uranium is not a man made material, plastic is. Its a fact that thousands of tons of plastics are floating around the oceans. Surveys from animals living in the polar regions have been found with trace amounts of plastic in their digestive tracts. There is not a single part of the world that has not been effected by plastic contaminants in one way or another. Unfortunately, even if we stopped using and producing plastic today they will be around for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years to come.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
And there was I thinking that plastic was derived from oil...

I seem to recall from science that you can't get owt from nowt... Everything has to start from something, the old energy cannot be created nor destroyed it just changes from one form to another.

But what has been created from something else can have a bad effect no doubt, but that just about covers everything... Therefore I declare that everything is bad so we must stop now...

greensurfingbear

I do seasonal beach surveys as part of my job. We record all the waste on a stretch of beach. Gets scary when you realise the bulk of what we pick up and record is plastics from containers like bottles to tampon applicators and cotton bid sticks. What annoys me the most is that it could mostly be recycled or reused but instead ends up in the seas.

Orric

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Therefore I declare that everything is bad so we must stop now...

If there are better alternatives and a proven problem then, yes, yes we should stop. That's the point really. Otherwise we'd all be living in asbestos houses surrounded by open sewers, smoking full tar cigerettes gleefully venting aerosols into our Ozone-less atmosphere. Fun times.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If there are better alternatives and a proven problem then, yes, yes we should stop. That's the point really. Otherwise we'd all be living in asbestos houses surrounded by open sewers, smoking full tar cigerettes gleefully venting aerosols into our Ozone-less atmosphere. Fun times.

Certainly the latter activity will help reduce the impact of the coming ice-age.....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yes Andy BB, your quite correct but uranium is not a man made material, plastic is. Its a fact that thousands of tons of plastics are floating around the oceans. Surveys from animals living in the polar regions have been found with trace amounts of plastic in their digestive tracts. There is not a single part of the world that has not been effected by plastic contaminants in one way or another. Unfortunately, even if we stopped using and producing plastic today they will be around for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years to come.

Glad to hear that, because it's "natural", Uranium is now considered safe! Won't Greenpeace be relieved! I'll replace my cabbage with belladonna next, because that's natural too:)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ha, nothing but the finest woven yoghurt jumpers for me.:rolleyes: Is there a facepalm smiley here?

Did anywhere in that report it show what damage it was doing? Or are we supposed to fill in the blanks left by their poor reporting and insufficient evidence? Must have been a slow news day.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Certainly the latter activity will help reduce the impact of the coming ice-age.....

Stopping the use of aerosol gases is a real proof of where mankind was causing an issue. Action was taken and the issue is slowly repairing itself.

Not sure why you have a problem with what I wrote? It applied to no particular issue but still elicited a glib response?

Maybe if I simplify it?
Identify a problem. Identify cause of problem. Implement a solution.

I have no idea how much of an issue plastic particulates are . But if I was a gambling man given our track record of peeing in our own well then I'd err on the side of caution.

I have kids I want them to have a decent planet to live on. I find some folk without kids are far more shortsighted and as long as everything stays pretty much as is until they die they don't actually give a fig about future generations. But I hope given the nature of this forum that isn't an attitude found in these hallowed walls?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hang on... just playing around here but humans make plastic, bees make honey. Plastic would not exist without humans and honey would not exist without bees, humans are "made by mother nature" as are bees so other than our human ego - where is the difference with regard to Ms. Nature on plastic vs. honey?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If you take a walk on ANY of the Solent beaches you would see that a large part of the UKs marine pollution is caused by the plastic stems of cotton buds. The high tide line is clearly marked with plastic.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Stopping the use of aerosol gases is a real proof of where mankind was causing an issue. Action was taken and the issue is slowly repairing itself.

Not sure why you have a problem with what I wrote? It applied to no particular issue but still elicited a glib response?

Maybe if I simplify it?
Identify a problem. Identify cause of problem. Implement a solution.

I have no idea how much of an issue plastic particulates are . But if I was a gambling man given our track record of peeing in our own well then I'd err on the side of caution.

I have kids I want them to have a decent planet to live on. I find some folk without kids are far more shortsighted and as long as everything stays pretty much as is until they die they don't actually give a fig about future generations. But I hope given the nature of this forum that isn't an attitude found in these hallowed walls?

Ah - playing the kids card, eh? I'll raise you three:)

Actually, you're a bit hoist by your own petard with your response. You've said the aerosol reduction reduced the holes in the ozone layer as if it was definitive evidence. Yet you make no mention of solar activity and geomagnetic variances, which have a much larger impact on ozone layer activity than do aerosols. So your "scientific" reference to cause and effect is nothing of the sort. I could just as easily say it was due to a butterfly wing in Japan, or an action by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.....

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Up at St Bees beach (Between Sellafield and Whitehaven) a few months back, we saw loads of plastic, some of it was 12g cartridges and the plastic inserts for the pellets... Must have been after the seagulls:lmao: Also loads of trawler netting...

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ah - playing the kids card, eh? I'll raise you three:)

Actually, you're a bit hoist by your own petard with your response. You've said the aerosol reduction reduced the holes in the ozone layer as if it was definitive evidence. Yet you make no mention of solar activity and geomagnetic variances, which have a much larger impact on ozone layer activity than do aerosols. So your "scientific" reference to cause and effect is nothing of the sort. I could just as easily say it was due to a butterfly wing in Japan, or an action by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.....

But I'm not trying to prove you wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE