BBQ fire starter from Azda supermarket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Picked up a BBQ Fire starter from Azda over the weekend.
It was only £1.50 for a packet, and looks like white chocolate board, which snaps off into a bar of bits in adult finger size.

It worked really well. By just one lighting on it with some twigs around, it started fire no problem.

I am not sure how organic the fire starter is, and what it is made of. Any ideas?

I normally put down the ashes onto the ground where plants are for enriching the soil for the plants.
But if the fire starter was not organic, then maybe it shouldn't be going to the soil.

The packaging of the fire starter doesn't have any description on what it is made of.

Was listening to AM radio live football match between England and Spain in the evening under the tarp beside the shed and wood stove going.

The tarp is a Rhombus by Lone Wolf 902, and the stove is a cheap portable camping stove from eBay.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice. Best way to watch football is to not watch it, the fire’s much more entertaining. Tidy little radio too, XHData came up a few times while I was looking at Tecsun and others, they seemed to review well, nice to have it all analogue. Under a tenner too.

What you didn’t film was your Milky Bar firelighter!

Reactions: spader

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Yeah, I forgot to film the firelighter. It was tossed into somewhere in the shed. I will try to remember next time going into the shed, and take a photo of it, and upload here.

I found it very effect firelighter. It would light fire to wet woods no problem.
It smelt like paraffin actually. I am not sure if Paraffin is organic or toxic.
Some folks burn paraffin heaters in the tents while camping, so I was presuming it might not be toxic, but wasn't sure. Perhaps you could confirm on that?

Glad to know you enjoyed the fire in the stove. Here is the 2nd part with the front door open.

It burnt really well on the night due to the logs were well dried in the bin for almost a year. There was almost no smoke from the chimney, just nice burning with intense heat.

I enjoyed listening to the radio on the night, although the results was not satisfactory. It was a good night garden bushcrafting. :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
The fire lighters will be fine. As long as you are shifting the flue gases.

I meant to ask you - is there a cleaning access hatch at the base of your chimney? It will make measuring chimney pressure very much easier.
I’ve got the tube. All I need now is time to clear out our grate. I’ll get there.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think those firelighters are pressed wood fibre soaked in wax.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
The fire lighters will be fine. As long as you are shifting the flue gases.

I meant to ask you - is there a cleaning access hatch at the base of your chimney? It will make measuring chimney pressure very much easier.
I’ve got the tube. All I need now is time to clear out our grate. I’ll get there.

No, it doesn't have a cleaning access at the chimney. It is a simple basic chimney, but installs and comes off fast and easy, no leaks of smokes, and 127mm diameter, which seems efficient so far. It is a bit fragile due to thin metal structure.

Yeah, no probs. Take time, and whenever you are free and ready for the demo.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The white firelighters are petroleum products. Think it's kerosene and an emulsifier. Burning it will produce carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide, but the majority of static residue will be just carbon and potentially some unburnt kerosene and emulsifier. In the concentrations of your ash, I don't think it'd cause a problem on your garden.

Reactions: Pattree and spader

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Yes, it says it contains kerosine in the lighter. (in very small print)

53863085085_c79272b2d4_z.jpg

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ah they are white, originally thought you were referring to these.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Ah they are white, originally thought you were referring to these.

Mine was £1.50 per a pack. Works well. At first I was worried on its possible toxicity, but it seems OK. There was no bad smell at all while the wood logs were burning in the stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE