BBC4 last night?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
I often end up watching BBC4 late at night they often have some interesting programming and less of the usual dross, and last night was cracking.
They showed a program called A Very English Winter: The Unthanks which explored winter folk traditions and customs (The Unthanks are a folk band), and then straight after was a cracking piece on Beowulf, well worth a watch if you get time

cheers
Matt

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thanks for the heads up. I love the Unthanks and I may have seen this before, I definitely saw one programme on folk traditions that they did a while ago. Will check it out. Beowulf sounds worth a look too.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Last night's Unthank thing was a repeat. They have made two of them so far and they are very good. Being a morris musician things like that with the old traditions always interest me.

Saw the Beowulf too! I was going to have an early night...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
On the subject of Beowulf , allow me a little digression. This thread reminded me of being at the Beyond the Border storytelling festival in south Wales a while ago and going to see Hugh Lupton's version of the saga. I took my son who was no more than seven or eight at the time, I think, and a bit young for what was a late night event full of blood and guts. I thought he would be asleep within a few minutes; not a bit of it, he was awake for the whole thing, hanging on Lupton's every word. A wonderful evening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE