Battle of the stoves - boil test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Spill petrol and the smell lingers for hours, not so with Aspen or PW, plus the nasties in petrol give off fumes you really don't want to be breathing in, your life, your choice.

There's not much difference in cost between Panel Wipe and Aspen 4T, depending on where you go. Of the two, I find Panel Wipe nicer to use - simply because it smells more pleasant. It smells of lighter fuel, whereas Aspen smells 'gassy'.

Jim

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Spill petrol and the smell lingers for hours, not so with Aspen or PW, plus the nasties in petrol give off fumes you really don't want to be breathing in, your life, your choice.

i use 2 stroke power tools most days at work so it wont much difference.
althow unless your in a confined space i wouldnt imagen it would effect you:confused:

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Yeahbut, best not find out you need a new generator because you've used petrol, when you're out in the wilds, eh!

Jim

lol good point! but thats where your bushcraft knowlege comes in;)
tbh it doesnt get a great deal of use these days, i usualy favor a trangia which is pretty much break down proof:)

pete

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As I fancied a brew, I lit a 123 and let it get hot then boiled water, 500ml. The fuel used was panel wipe

Crusader mug to rolling boil was 5:36 not bad

Then I used a two pint Bulldog billy can with lid, 500ml to rolling boil 3:25

Thats a big saving and shows what a difference a pot makes, and certainly a pot with a lid.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Wow, great responses here... there a lot of different stoves out there and some people that don't like to throw stuff away :). I know the crusader mug is not the ideal pot but I wanted to use what I am prepared to carry with me. On a lightweight trip this is the only thing I take with me for boiling water / cooking so a billy can was never going to get into the picture.

A lid for the crusader mug would be useful. I have a friend that runs an engineering company... perhaps I could get him turn something out. It would surely speed things up.

As for the 9 minute boil time for the exped stove, I was very surprised it was taking so long. It had a very strong flame, the whole unit was glowing orange (not red) so it was up to temp, but as has already been commented, the pot stand arrangement puts the mug a good inch above the burner. I am sure they had good reason to do that but it does seem to make a big difference. There seemed to be a lot of heat leakage round the sides that would be kept in better if using the heat reflector and heat shield it is supplied with....

This turned into a much better thread than I could have hoped. Thanks all!! :You_Rock_

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 123 fits the 2 pint Bulldog billy just right with room for the pot lid to fit, its a great brew stove.

pic1-1.jpg

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
there a lot of different stoves out there and some people that don't like to throw stuff away :).

???

As for the 9 minute boil time for the exped stove, I was very surprised it was taking so long. It had a very strong flame, the whole unit was glowing orange (not red) so it was up to temp, but as has already been commented, the pot stand arrangement puts the mug a good inch above the burner. I am sure they had good reason to do that but it does seem to make a big difference. There seemed to be a lot of heat leakage round the sides that would be kept in better if using the heat reflector and heat shield it is supplied with....

The Shaker Jet version of the XGK has the improved potstands.... as you say being an inch above the flame is not too good for heat transfer. The older potstands on the earlier XGK's is better and the stands on the XGK's predecessor the Model 9 are shorter and better again for heat transfer. The problem is if you get a pot close to the burner you can get flame impingement which is likely to produce CO. I believe there was an article written in one of the US climbing or backpacking magazines that did testing on the CO production of various stoves in a kind of 'expose' back in the 80's. IIRC stoves like the XGK got revised potstands on the back of it.

Personally I'd take an XGK over a Windpro anyday... it's much more fun to use...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"Wow, great responses here... there a lot of different stoves out there and some people that don't like to throw stuff away . I know the crusader mug is not the ideal pot but I wanted to use what I am prepared to carry with me. On a lightweight trip this is the only thing I take with me for boiling water / cooking so a billy can was never going to get into the picture."

You waste a lot of fuel using the Crusader mug thats why I pack my little 123 stove (or a small gas stove) in a billy can. The billy is better to cook in and the insulated mug I take keeps my drinks warm unlike the Crusader mug.

Best thing about the Crusader mug is its ability to hold the contents of a 500ml can of Stella Artois and leave room for a good head (I don't like drinking out of tins) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE