Battery powered lantern.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
I was at my parents on Sunday and there was a black out while we were having our tea.

My mum got out some candles and I switched on the big Maglite torch which I gave them.

I suddenly thought a battery powered lantern would be very useful for them in times like this.
Plus a couple of headtorches dotted around the house, especially in their loft office area, (lethal stairs in daylight never mind in the dark).

Can anyone recommend me a reasonable battery lantern?

I've seen the Browning Black Ice on Heinnie Haynes.
Any other ideas?

Thanks, YB.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm liking this one a lot so far. Throws quite a bit of light. Enough to read by.

energizer_lantern1b.jpg

For smaller and lighter, you might try one of these. Enough to see where you are going in the house or organize things in a tent or camper, but not really good for reading unless you are very close to it. It says Sylvania on it but it is made by someone else. Forget the name though. But a very solid light.

sylvania_lantern1b.jpg

I would also stay far, far away from the Coleman LED with the Cree bulb. Turns out the batteries drain while the lamp sits in the off position. I contacted Coleman and they are totally aware of the problem. Their response: tough toolies, take the batteries out. If that's the case, why bother having a switch eh. They could care less. I've been a long time Coleman fan but this has soured me on them.

colemancree1c.jpg

Ok, I found the link on the Sylvania. I think they were originally called the Osram Golden Dragon. Under the Sylvania name, they are MUCH MUCH cheaper around here. A local store was selling them for $6 for awhile, then $9. That is outrageously cheap for such high quality. Same lamp as the Osram.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have just brought a silverpoint Hiker lantern, it's wind up and has a small socket on it which I think maybe for phone charging. used my discount code and got 15% off. Has anyone got one and confirm the use for the socket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE