Bass Pro Shops & Cabela's Merger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I saw this earlier today and I'm not yet decided if it's good news or bad. Apparently Bass pro acquired Cabela's:

14522825_782020245234801_8458097758655833175_n.jpg

Bass Pro Shops (Destin, FL)
Page Liked · Yesterday ·

It is with tremendous pride that we share with you the great news that Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s have agreed to combine our iconic brands to create a truly premier retailer in outdoor sporting goods. This merger of resources, experience and passion for the outdoors represents a unique opportunity for both companies and our people to create the best-of-the-best shopping experience for outdoor enthusiasts worldwide for generations to come. Under this agreement our company will remain private with a long-term view to do what is best for our people, our customers and to maintain our steadfast support for conservation.
www.basspro.com/update

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I obviously don't use either shops often but I always enjoyed Cabela's. I've only visited Bass Pro once in Florida and wasn't that impressed.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I go to Bass Pro in Miami yearly. Excellent selection of fishing line. Decent selection of cheap outdoor clothes.
Lots of gun related stuff, but again, lots of it is cheap quality.

A merge like this can mean increased prices for the consumer, less competition!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I obviously don't use either shops often but I always enjoyed Cabela's. I've only visited Bass Pro once in Florida and wasn't that impressed.

I've been to four different Bass Pro Shops in different parts of the country. Each is different depending on the local fishing. Here it's around saltwater fishing in the Gulf Of Mexico. In Tennessee it was about fishing mountain streams. I've never yet been to a Cabela's store but I always liked their online selection and service much better than anywhere else I've tried and was hoping to get to one of their real stores one day.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I go to Bass Pro in Miami yearly. Excellent selection of fishing line. Decent selection of cheap outdoor clothes.
Lots of gun related stuff, but again, lots of it is cheap quality.

A merge like this can mean increased prices for the consumer, less competition!

I never had a problem with their quality; their guns are the standard name brands: S&W, Beretta, Colt, Sig, Winchester, Ruger, etc. Their clothing line consists of their own brand, Redhead, which is decent and Columbia, which is way, way overpriced.

I'm afraid your last sentence might prove true, but hopefully Gander Mountain's re-entry into the marketplace will counter balance that to some degree.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It was the Redhead brand I meant. Clothes do not wash well, gun cleaning stuff breaks.
Had several plastic patch holders snap off the brass shaft halway down inside the guns.

But it is fun to go there and browse.
Last time I had a feel on a S&W 929.
One is now in Miami, heading ( after the hurricane) my way!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ahhh! Yeah, the Redhead brand is typically 100% cotton. Meaning it shrinks and wrinkles badly. I've had trouble with gun cleaning rods breaking as well but I didn't buy mine at BP.

I've never been to the store in Miami.

Keep your head down during Hurricane Mathew! It's looking rough.

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
as a UK resident I hope this goes well! I've only ever been to the bass pro store in orlando (THE only reason to goto the God awful Artegon Marketplace mall) & loved it. just wish we had bigger suitcases for coming home

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been to several Cabela's stores, mostly for clothing, a couple of times for jerky cure and seasoning supplies.
Clothing: All their own brands. Some shrink, some don't. Some wear like iron, others disintigrate.
Really uneven quality but seems no sure way to predict.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had several clothing items from Cabela's over the decades (never been to a store but have been using their mail order since I was a teenager) Several Safari shirts, a waxed cotton hat, and a pair of cordura faced hunting jeans for busting through saw briers while bird hunting. Never had a problem with quality yet. I've also bought a couple of guns from them (a 50 cal Hawken by CVA, and a 44 cal cap & ball revolver) as well as shot and a powder measure and various other shooting supplies (modern and black powder) such as gun belts and holsters, slings, etc. Also various accessories for the truck, and fishing gear.

Needless to say I'll be sorely disappointed if quality, service, or availability declines :( Especially from the catalog sales.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, visit Lou's Police Supply in Miami for modern stuff and clothes. Our shop of choice.

I'm not really interested in police gear too much now-a-days, but thanks. The modern (kydex) holsters don't really do anything for me. Besides, it's over 650 miles driving from here to Miami.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Somehow I missed hearing about this at the time. I have been ordering from Cabelas for over 20 years, mostly when I could have stuff delivered to my Grandparents for collection when I visited. Most of the stuff I have had, clothing, has been great. 20+ years ago I was kitted in Realtree before even the UK magazines started talking about more realistic patterns than DPM and some of that kit is still holding up now! The only thing I had a problem with was their Dry Plus membrane in a rain jacket which totally disintegrated into millions of tiny hexagonal flakes and leaked like a sieve.

Up until a few weeks ago I had only ever been in the Edmonton store, and that was when it was brand new and wasn't well stocked. This September I was able to visit the Grand Junction store in CO and it was fun wandering around. I didn't need anything so escaped with nothing more than candy and jerky to share with work colleagues back home.

I always found that Cabelas carried a greater range of hunting gear and Bass-Pro a better range of fishing gear. Hope that they are able to keep everything going.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
You Americans don't know your born, you would be vastly disappointed after a 10 minute visit to mountain warehouse. Bass pro is like "toys r us" for not so grown ups.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You Americans don't know your born, you would be vastly disappointed after a 10 minute visit to mountain warehouse. Bass pro is like "toys r us" for not so grown ups.

Not sure what you're trying to say? Are you more satisfied with Mountain Warehouse? Or less?

I had to look them up and I couldn't see where they carry any hunting or fishing equipment. No rods, reels, tackle, powerboats, radar, sonar, marine radios, boat trailers, guns, ammo, reloading components and supplies and equipment, no bows, arrows, archery hunting accessories, tree stands, black powder, holsters, slings, no heavy tents, saddles, pack saddles, no truck/4WD accessories, no ATV accessories (nor even the ATVs themselves) etc. No heavy cast iron or homesteading equipment.

Personally I like what MW carries at least at a glance. just as I like what Cabela's and Bass Pro carry. I just am leery that the merger might not be a good thing as it'll obviously take away some pressure to compete.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE