Basketry for beginners.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What weekend suits for a basketmaking course at Comriecroft ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fiona has agreed to run an introduction to basketmaking course for us....at a huge discount :D

The intention is that over a weekend, up to eight people will each make a basket, and in the process also learn a great deal about materials and techniques.
Fiona will provide all materials and necessary tools for the course.

I know that there were more than eight people who expressed an interest in this, but if we get one course organised and underway, there's no reason that we can't do others.

Fiona has also agreed to bring along a range of traditonal baskets, made using our native plants, and has said she is happy to talk to anyone else who comes along too. It's just that logistically she can't effectively work with more than eight people at a beginners course.
Extra materials will be available to buy for folks who would like more diy too.

I need sincere expressions of interest, and I'm going to put up a poll for dates.

I can guarantee up front that if we get all eight places filled, then the costs for the weekend course will not be more than £50 a person, and that covers everything but your own camp fees.
I have contacted Comriecroft and they are happy for us to be there again :D They have confirmed that the May dates are available for us.

cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'm game. :) I found the talk up at Loch Tay fascinating and was really impressed with the range of basketry Fiona brought along. There was just too much going on that day to have a chance to try it out.

I'm easy with the dates.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D

Click the boxes for me please folks :D

Fiona is a friend, but she is also one of the most capable people I know.
Her range of basketry skills is astonishing, as is her knowledge and experience of the preparation of materials, particularly those from the UK.
I was delighted when she said yes to this meet up :cool:

atb,
Mary

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Yes Please Mary.
I ticked the 22nd as optimum, but could really do most. Things will change the nearer we get there.
Thats a grand wee coup to organise her and the course.goodjob
Many thanks,
George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

I think I caught her at a quiet moment, and I promised to do a wee bit to help her set up a new community garden :D

cheers,
Mary

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'd be interested apart form two slight problems, you know one of them, and the other is that I'll be at a wedding on the only weekend listed that I'll be in the UK.
Ah well.

This look interesting Toddy. swmbo has wanted to have a go for ages. Is there things to do for non weavers and kids (in a make your own entertainment kind of way)? I would need to incorporate the trip into other camping activities so would need to be in the area for a week to make it viable as it would be a 575 mile round trip.:)
fyi I would only make the last date due to school half term.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bodge, it's a beautiful bit of the world and it's slap bang in the centre of the country, lots of things around, though if they like walking and suchlike the entire hillside is available :)

I'm wondering about suggesting that we open this one up and say that the chute is available if folks just want a meet up.

There was an earlier suggestion of an archery meet too.
I think that would rely on someone like Doc taking over organising it though :dunno:

chers,
Mary

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Would make the trip up for this but very much work dependant as i wont be back in the country till late may early june depending

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE