Basic BBQ sauce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I put this on another thread but thought I'd place here too. This is a 'base' sauce and you can mess about with it. This came from a good mate who trained (chef) in the UK, spent time learning/cooking in Scandinavia, then the oil rigs, then the USA where he married a local gal, hung up his apron and is now a teacher.

Caraway seeds
Sessame oil
Tomato ketchup
Crushed garlic
Chinese five spice
Diced and dry chilli (optional)
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Celery salt

Optional : A bit Liquid smoke but I left it out today and be careful it can over power the other ingredients.

Can't give amounts as I mix by 'eye' but its very heavy on the tom ketchup. Its pretty much a bog standard sauce but pretty good if your bulk cooking (as the daughter is the weekend). Goes well with oven cooked belly pork too. I've not made this for a few years but it came out tasting good.

Make in bulk and you can 'paint' it on your meat as you cook or use as a marinade. A good bit of sugar in the ketchup so you'll get a crisp outer on the meat if you want that.

Summer is coming to an end but if your cooking in warm weather you can 'cook' things like pork ribs and chicken before they go on the BBQ this way the meat is 'safe'. A very gentle simmer in water (plain or infused with herbs/spices/vegetables), almost like a sous vide then use your sauce with the meat over your coals. This way you should avoid any chance of going down with the Jaipuri Jitters.

So, come on then, add your BBQ sauces to this starter :)

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Sounds good!

Just a few weeks ago I made a simple barbecue sauce to marinade pork ribs. Worked great, we liked it a lot!

You need
- onions
- garlic
- olive oil or ghee or lard
- tomatoes or unflavoured tomato juice
- honey
- salt
- mustard
- balsamico vinegar

Fry the finely cut garlic and onion in the fat, add peeled and diced tomato (or the tomato juice) and all the rest. Let it cook for at least 10 minutes, enjoy!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine is red onion and garlic sweated down, add skinned chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, muscovado sugar, black treacle and sweet paprika - boil till thick and pulse with a stock blender. Chilli flakes to taste.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You the need sugar and acid to flavour and help tenderise the meat I think; I detest barely cooked meat of any kind and certainly from a BBQ.

A simple one for lunch, slice up some pork (belly works fine) and soak in lemon juice and garlic for a couple of hours. Drain, add to pan and dry fry then start adding the lemon juice a bit at a time with a sprinkle of sugar of choice adding as you cook; cook almost until dry and you have a coating on the meat and serve with pita bread and a little salad heavy on the fresh coriander or parsley...nice simple and quick lunch.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE