Bark sheaths

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Had a few more practice attempts at these and then remade the Elm bark sheath, and the birch bark one I made for the Fast knife. Think I have it sorted now as I wasn't happy just winding the bark around spiral fashion so after a bit of research I managed to figure out the weaving method.

S5000122.jpg

More Pics

http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2011/04/bark-sheaths.html

One turn round the outside, one turn between the front loop and rear loop. The side view should explain.

The whipping knots are there just to help secure the last few turns from coming loose over time. I prefer the way the jute works on the birch one.

Still on the rough side but they work well, just added a bit of cordage to the birch one to give a little on the belt.

Addo :)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work fella! I must admit I like the rustic look myself these days.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I do not know if you like traditional Finnish models, but here are some models from Central Finland, made out of birch bark. Illustration from Niilo Valonen's article "Tammelan seudun tuohikulttuuri" (1948). I also have an illustrated guide (in Finnish) for making a newer type of sheath which is shaped like a fishtail.

tuohituppia.jpg

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the kind words folks. Ive enjoyed working with bark lately.

I do not know if you like traditional Finnish models, but here are some models from Central Finland, made out of birch bark. Illustration from Niilo Valonen's article "Tammelan seudun tuohikulttuuri" (1948). I also have an illustrated guide (in Finnish) for making a newer type of sheath which is shaped like a fishtail.

tuohituppia.jpg

Hi Martti, I really do like all things traditional from your part of the world and have not seen these designs before so thanks for posting the illustration.

I'd be very interested in the fish tail type guide. Ive made a few leather fish tail scandi sheaths with wooden liners, but didn't realise there were so many bark types too. Looks like there is still much to learn.

Cheers, Addo.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I'd be very interested in the fish tail type guide. Ive made a few leather fish tail scandi sheaths with wooden liners, but didn't realise there were so many bark types too. Looks like there is still much to learn.

This illustration is from S. E. Lindqvist's book "Miten tehdään tuohitöitä" (1987). The small circles designate where the folded birch bark strips start, the arrow the direction of the weaving. The work is started from the lower end but the two hatched parts must be done first. This type of sheath is not traditional but was popular during the Continuation War among the soldiers.

fishtailsheath.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Paul, you've taken them to the next level now! Gonna have to have another try as mine is looking rather pathetic now. Onwards and upwards eh!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks again. :)

They both have a wooden liner made from the same material as the handles, so an Ash one for the bigger knife and a Birch one to match the smaller one.
I wanted the same amount of wood to show through at the bottom as the handle top on the birch Fast knife. I like this one as apart from the blade all the parts are from the Birch tree.

These woven ones use a little more bark and have a tighter feel, so I think they are quite tough for longer term use. I'm going to be using the Fast Knife and sheath for the next couple of months to see how it changes.

Thanks for the design Martti, I'll give it a go soon. Might have to look out for some books to help though.:eek:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Did you soak or treat the bark with oil Paul? It looks like it has a bit of a sheen on it. When I did mine the bark was fairly dry and cracked in a few places and I wished I had given them a soak in linseed oil first to see if it would help.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Chad, I soaked the bark first to form, let it dry then coated in grapeseed oil (but many other types will do), then let that cure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE