Bark River Knives

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences with Bark River knives.

It seems they are incredibly popular in the US, but not as popular here.

I'm particularly interested int their bushcraft 3v and the Gunny Scandi 3v. They have a scandi/convex grind, which seems to be the best of both worlds, but I've not used one yet, so would be keen to hear other's experiences with such a grind.
988539_551687761554580_1663497596_n.jpg

BarkRiverBushcrafter.jpg

Last, but not least, can anyone recommend a company from whom I can purchase one of these knives?

Thanks

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I used to have a Liten Bror. I liked it initially but I found it too heavy and too stout, and also the steel was a pain to sharpen. I like their little knives much more, had a mini canadian which I really liked but ended up trading it for an imp which I like even better. The a2 steel is nicer to sharpen and and I find the full handle short blade to work well together. I haven't tried any of their larger knives, and tbh I can tell you with certainty the next knife I buy will be something other than a brk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No real experience with the knives. But looking at them on Amazon reveals two things:
1. They look extremely good
2. They're way over priced.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've tried two of them, an Aurora and another which I can't recall the name of. Initial thoughts

1) Their sheaths are rubbish - made from old chamois leather or tissue or something - cheap, thin, poorly stitched
2) Stabalisation and scale adhesion have been a problem - I have known several people who have had to return them
3) That grind - its horrible - really can't get on with it. Mike won't hear anything against it or entertain any of the more popular grinds though.

For my money get a maker like HillBill to make you exactly what you want - it won't cost much more - possibly less. You will get a proper sheath, a decent grind, your choice of materials and the scales won't fall off the second tome you use it.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Always convex finish some are flat ground, some Scandinavian but he fades into a convex secondary.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I'm not so keen on the bigger knives and would definitely recommend a hillbill creation as a preferable alternative. That said I do have a micro canadian which is well made, great in the hand and one of my favourites.

cheers

joab

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm starting to realise why there is no love for them over here now. To be honest it'll be a while until I can afford a new knife anyway, but it's never too early to do your homework.

Maybe the Americans rave about them because they are made in America?

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
I have a first production northstar which I like very much, admittedly ive not used it a great deal but ive got nothing bad to say about it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm starting to realise why there is no love for them over here now. To be honest it'll be a while until I can afford a new knife anyway, but it's never too early to do your homework.

Maybe the Americans rave about them because they are made in America?

Maybe. But TBH I'd only barely heard of them until this thread.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I've tried two of them, an Aurora and another which I can't recall the name of. Initial thoughtsRed

It was a North Star, the first production run of which the handle was too short for most mans hands.

Hillbill, Rob Evans, FYGT or any other of the competent knife makers on here or British Blades will make you a knife to your specs, within the UK for around the same money as a Bark River. Knives ship Free, don't ship free to the UK and you will get stung for import duties.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Morpeth, Northumberland
I have a fox river hunter by bark river knives. Purchased from heinnie.

The sheath supplied was pants so I got someone from ebay to make me a better one.

The knife itself is well made, none of the material/handle problems mentioned above.

I kinda like it overall, but the full convex grind is a bit of a pain to sharpen (had to make a sharpening kit for it).
Think my next knife will be from a maker on here with a scandi grind.

Sent from my boggy hole using tapatalk 2

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences with Bark River knives.

It seems they are incredibly popular in the US, but not as popular here.

I'm particularly interested int their bushcraft 3v and the Gunny Scandi 3v. They have a scandi/convex grind, which seems to be the best of both worlds, but I've not used one yet, so would be keen to hear other's experiences with such a grind.
988539_551687761554580_1663497596_n.jpg

BarkRiverBushcrafter.jpg

Last, but not least, can anyone recommend a company from whom I can purchase one of these knives?

Thanks

Not trying to tout my stuff, and I am not sure if this kind of post is allowed but the Bushcrafter is still available if your interested.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106488

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Kard. I'd be very tempted to give it a try if it wasn't micarta. I much prefer a bit of timber on my knives.

As a matter of interest, how did you like the knife?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE