Barbour wax from scratch

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Will it be possible to wax a cotton jacket from scratch with Barbour type wax?

will the fabric be breathable?

Thoughts please

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Pignut,i used to work for Barbour and reproof jackets as part of the job,as to answer your question, i think it will depend on the jackets weave as i know that Barbour jackets use quite a tight weave then proofed with the wax. As for being breathable i would say no, as the jackets we used to reproof were never breathable, in fact you sweat like anything wearing one.

I hope this is of some help, cheers Stuart.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I have a barbour and agree with stuart f that it's not breathable (but they will take abuse that a synthetic jacket won't). The cotton in the jacket is pretty thick too. Not sure it would work on any old fabric. I would guess that when the jackets are produced they are done in molten wax rather than having the wax rubbed in to get the wax into the fibers.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks for that, never sweated to badly in my wax, that is not to say you dont though (If you see what I mean!)

The cotton in question is a tight weave. would I be able to do it from scratch with a tin of re-proofer?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I re-waxed a Stockmans, last year I think it was. Anyway, it still isn't done to my satisfaction. I used a tin and a half as I ended up stripping the jacket back to basic cloth by boil washing it due to the state of it. So much grit was embedded in the old wax that i thought it would abrade stitching, etc. It's a lot of hard work to re-wax a coat. I've given up on the Barbour wax, I'm thinking of trying the Nikwax stuff but just haven't gotten round to it yet. I've got a fair base done, the whole jacket has an amount of Barbour wax on it. I suppose the Nikwax will just top it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE