Barbcue/ Firebox well bucket (photo heavy)

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I was in my local DIY shop when I came across this the Revolution Grill N Chill Charcoal Barbecue .
I have been t toying the the idea of either making or buying a firebox I thought this might do the job, if not it's a nice portable barbecue.
The barbecue is 10'' in diameter 5" deep and stands 6" without legs and 11" with. The barbecue comes with coal grill steel grill with detachable handle the barbecue has a built in adjustable air vent. The list price was £19.99 but when I got to the till with my impulse purchase I was £13.99 not bad value I thought even at the full price.

It comes in a bag with a small cool bag in the lid
DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

All the bits laid out

DSC_0191.jpg

All put together

DSC_0192.jpg

With handle fitted to the grill part easily put on and taken off

DSC_0193.jpg

Legs folded down ready to go back in the bag

DSC_0194.jpg

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
They had the bucket barbecue as well, I had had a look at them before, but I liked the way this one packs down.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I got round to giving the barbecue/ firebox a quick test yesterday to see how it would perform.
I had some old branches that had been taken of a Lawson cypress which I cut up and split and made feather sticks as fuel, the size of the log I used for the test was about 8"x4" .
There was a slight breeze and the wind was swirling around a bit I opened the air vent fully arranged the feather sticks in the in the barbecue and set light to the with a lighter.
DSC_0196.jpg

I then placed on the top grill bars and placed a 12cm bill can filled with water on to boil.
DSC_0199.jpg

The water was soon boiling.
DSC_0201.jpg

Pros and Cons:
Pros
1 The barbecue can hold a good amount of fuel with the grill in place and you would be able to place more in if the pot was suspended from a pot hanger.

2 There is a good air flow which allows it to be lit easily.

3 The area of the top grill would take two 12cm bill cans *

Cons.
There was only two minor points
* 1 I found that the top grill wire could do with being made with a thicker gage wire as when it was heated it dished slightly,as it was only designed to support burgers. I am sure a mod could be made to rectify this.

2 Even with the legs extended there is still a fair bit of heat transmitted to the ground during the test I was able to put my hand underneath the barbecue ok, but with a larger fire this might cause a problem ? Something to be aware of but just a matter of placing something under it if used on grass or any surface that might be scorched.

Conclusion:
Bearing these all the points in mind I am pleased with the results of the test and I think the barbecue will work very well as a firebox as well as its intended use a barbecue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE