Banana leaf tea? Safe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
While doing some experiments trying to extract wax from leaves by boiling I had access to my neighbour's banana plant overhanging my garden. While I did not get any wax from it I did get an attractive orange/ yellow liquid. Having done a search and finding that banana leaves are used as wraps in cooking food I came to the decision that extracts of banana leaves won't be toxic and hesitantly tasted it. A nice gently banana flavoured tea was the verdict.

Anyone living in hot climates know if it is proven safe - for a wide variety of banana varieties - and if it is a known drink?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've no idea but the reason they are used as plates is because of their size and convenience (easy to reach and they grow everywhere in the tropics).

I would imagine that they are completely safe as they are often used to bake things in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE