Baker tent i made,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Here is my latest project which took about 3 hours to make, its from 12 oZ cotton canvas which is water proofed and rot proofed, cost of materials aprox £130,
It is 8ft wide by 6ft deep by 6ft high, the tarp at the front aprox 6'6 ft

083.jpg

078.jpg

Thanks for looking

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Very nice indeed, although obviously for full authenticity you should cut down some of your neighbours' trees for the poles rather than using such neatly cut timbers :D

I've long fancied making a Whelen Lean-to myself, very similar to the Baker in many ways. Did you use a domestic sewing machine for this or did it require something heftier?

Gailainne

Life Member
Thats a really nice bit of kit, with a brazier going in front I would imagine the covered area would be really comfortable.

Are you planning on replacing the wooden supports with ali ? or would it work with a suspended ridgeline between 2 trees say ?

I'm working on a smock and a hammock sock at the moment, and getting the sewing machine to run straight lines is my major problem atm, something like you've done I wouldnt even attempt.

Regards

Stephen

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
very nice not bad for three hours work your sewing machine must of been smoking:eek: now you made me jellos must be a b--er to pack in your ruck sack :D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Nice tent.

You don't really need an industrial sewing machine to make it. I've sewn up 5 or 6 large tents with my small portable table-top sewing machine, and several dozen various sized canvas bags/pouches. I just switched in a Sears #18 heavy duty needle, and used cotton-wrapped polyester thread. I've sewn up 8 oz. to 14 oz. canvas without problems. Just go slow, pin things together, stop often to ... adjust ... and hand-turn the sewing machine through the thick/multiple layers where necessary.

I don't know who manufactured my machine, but it is called a Dressmaker.

The hardest part of sewing up a tent is having enough room to spread everything out and get the seams all pinned together. And then you have to get ... creative ... to feed it all through the sewing machine - that C shaped opening never seems to be deep enough.

With a Baker tent, you almost have a whole wall-tent sewn up. All that you are missing would be the side walls around half of the tent.

A lot of people make up an extra Privacy Curtain for their Baker tents. It's like a second awning out front, but only has to go from the ridge line down to the ground. Then they can leave the awning stretched/staked out, close the privacy curtain, and be able to change their skivvies without the rest of the world watching! Most privacy curtains get made in two pieces - that overlap a bit in the center. Put tape ties along the sides, and along the center so you can tie it shut. When not in use, just roll it up to the ridgepole and tie it up. Or tie it to each side like window curtains.

Of course, that privacy curtain does then block any reflected heat/light from your fire from getting back into the tent. But most females appreciate it.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I've sewn up 2 Large wedge tents (10x12 by 8 foot high), one 7 x 9 by 7 high, and one 6 x 7 1/2 by 6 foot high. The hardest part was getting enough canvas for the projects. I still have and use one of the large and the small wedge tents. And I need to repair/modify a 10x12 wall tent I picked up for a $3 "chance" at a fishing camp auction. Nobody had untied and unrolled it, so nobody knew if the canvas was good or full of mouse houses. It was dirty, but otherwise OK except for a few holes. That $3 "chance" paid off this time.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Nice tent.

You don't really need an industrial sewing machine to make it. I've sewn up 5 or 6 large tents with my small portable table-top sewing machine, and several dozen various sized canvas bags/pouches. I just switched in a Sears #18 heavy duty needle, and used cotton-wrapped polyester thread. I've sewn up 8 oz. to 14 oz. canvas without problems. Just go slow, pin things together, stop often to ... adjust ... and hand-turn the sewing machine through the thick/multiple layers where necessary.

I don't know who manufactured my machine, but it is called a Dressmaker.

The hardest part of sewing up a tent is having enough room to spread everything out and get the seams all pinned together. And then you have to get ... creative ... to feed it all through the sewing machine - that C shaped opening never seems to be deep enough.

With a Baker tent, you almost have a whole wall-tent sewn up. All that you are missing would be the side walls around half of the tent.

A lot of people make up an extra Privacy Curtain for their Baker tents. It's like a second awning out front, but only has to go from the ridge line down to the ground. Then they can leave the awning stretched/staked out, close the privacy curtain, and be able to change their skivvies without the rest of the world watching! Most privacy curtains get made in two pieces - that overlap a bit in the center. Put tape ties along the sides, and along the center so you can tie it shut. When not in use, just roll it up to the ridgepole and tie it up. Or tie it to each side like window curtains.

Of course, that privacy curtain does then block any reflected heat/light from your fire from getting back into the tent. But most females appreciate it.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I've sewn up 2 Large wedge tents (10x12 by 8 foot high), one 7 x 9 by 7 high, and one 6 x 7 1/2 by 6 foot high. The hardest part was getting enough canvas for the projects. I still have and use one of the large and the small wedge tents. And I need to repair/modify a 10x12 wall tent I picked up for a $3 "chance" at a fishing camp auction. Nobody had untied and unrolled it, so nobody knew if the canvas was good or full of mouse houses. It was dirty, but otherwise OK except for a few holes. That $3 "chance" paid off this time.

Ye i agree you could make one on a domestic table top machine, i use a walking foot that i have in our factory, i swaped it for an old machine the we wernt using, it does make the job easier though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE