Baffling message from Google

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your Google Account xxxxxxx was just used to sign in from Internet Explorer on Windows.

What do I do?

Its not the first time

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do you have more than one computer/tablet/phone Tengu?
With Googles updated system it now warns you if another device signs in/connects to the net. Will also send an email to your account age first time you log in after the new system was updated.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
no, I dont. I suppose I could access it wwith my phone, but I have no idea to.

(Smartphone is wonderful but I have no idea how to use it)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
no, I dont. I suppose I could access it wwith my phone, but I have no idea to.

(Smartphone is wonderful but I have no idea how to use it)

I've had that before saying it was accessed outside the UK. It should usually give you a location?

Yes, when in doubt change your password - then go and change your password on any money related accounts too. Because of password recovery systems your main email account is the key to all your passwords, and if you use gmail then it has the same login as your other Google accounts. It's probably fine, but still better safe than sorry.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Google warns you when your account is logged into from a different device, it sounds like you've been hacked, unless you have logged on using someone else's device and not logged out, as said, change your password /s and if you had any sensitive data in there, check it, also run a virus / malware and spybot test, belt and braces.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I'd like to add: Make sure that it's a genuine google message, and not phishing. Also, as a rule, never follow any links in any email.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I'd like to add: Make sure that it's a genuine google message, and not phishing. Also, as a rule, never follow any links in any email.
This is very important, yes change your password immediately but do so by logging into your Google account in the regular way to avoid giving your details to a 3rd party

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
58463a2c5d8769360c1c75a32dc2a1fd.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
how do I change my password?

If you have to ask this question it's probably too late already.

Was the message that you got in an email? If so, it was very likely forged. It's trivial to forge email.

To find out if it was forged, look at the email headers. Use a search engine to find out how to do that - it's different for different email readers (what we call email clients).
When you can see the headers, which are a bit gobbledygooky, look at the top dozen or so lines which say how the mail was routed to you from the sender.
My guess is that you'll see something obviously fishy.

If you still can't figure it out, post a screen shot of the headers here for me.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Google <no-reply@accounts.google.com>
to:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:7 December 2015 at 18:56
subject:New sign-in from Internet Explorer on Windows
mailed-by:gaia.bounces.google.com
Signed by:accounts.google.com

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Google <no-reply@accounts.google.com>
to:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:7 December 2015 at 18:56
subject:New sign-in from Internet Explorer on Windows
mailed-by:gaia.bounces.google.com
Signed by:accounts.google.com

That's nothing like the full headers of an email. Look for how to get the full headers displayed and post them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE