Backyard mushroom I.D help needed

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
I found this interesting look mushroom in my backyard today.Its growing in a shaded corner in some cardboard next to the compost.I think it my be call Jews ear but not too sure.Can you help me I.D this one?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I found this interesting look mushroom in my backyard today.Its growing in a shaded corner in some cardboard next to the compost.I think it my be call Jews ear but not too sure.Can you help me I.D this one?

Might help people if you posted a picture of what you want identifying.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Sorry!My one and a half year old daughter came up and started banging on the keyboard and posted this thread for me.Was about to attach these pix.

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

So how knows what this is called?

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Thanks Matt.
It is rubbery like Jews ear but bigger that I remember Jews ear being(lived in Australia for 8 years now).Also I remember Jews ear growing on just trees not ground?Bleach cup looks like a good mach but the shape in a bit more irregular.Will have to get rid of it as the kids play out there a lot no point in taking chances.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
That looks like it's growing on cardboard - which is just re-processed trees - many species that grow on trees can be cultivated on cardboard/paper waste, Oyster mushrooms for example. Again from Roger's, it may be the Tan Ear Fungus (Otidea alutacea)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
this might be helpful

Australia has a lot of very unique fungi, your fungi are as unique as the rest of the ecosystem. It looks like a peziza cerea but that is using a british field guide. Cup fungi are not eaten and some of the european types have tested positive for chemicals hazardous to health. If i was stranded in oz i would not eat any fungi at, not even a bolete, north of the tropic of cancer i can be quite sure of quite a few species.

Ear fungi are very flexible and are velvety and feel quite the ears on babies, cup fungi are more brittle and break easily when handled, you can tear bits of easily. Ear fungi always grow on trees, cup fungi can grow on a range of places in including moldy carpet or cardboard. In certain circumstances cup fungi have been known to infect living human lungs, the peziza cerea often grows where aspergillis will thrive.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Thank guys some very useful info there!I do live in Australia in New South Wales.When I lived in Scotland I use to do a fair bit of mushroom hunting so I can I.D a fair few of the things and also aware of the dangers.A lot of knowledge about local mushrooms has been lost sad to say,lost with a lot of other Aboriginal knowlege.When you go in to the bush here you don't see a lot of mushrooms growing.A lot less you would see in the woods U.K but then its a lot dryer.This mushroom in the photo came up after a fair few days of rain and is the biggest I have see here.I must say that bush food is a lot to find harder here than in the U.K!Most of the plants I find that I know that are safe to eat are classed as weed here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE