Backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
Hey. Seeing if you guys have some good recommendations. I'm looking for a new rucksack. Basically I've got a big 75l higear one and a little 15l Black Diamond pack. What I need is something in between.

I just treated myself to a Zephyros 2 for some wild camping excursions and I'm thinking a 75l pack is a bit big for a couple days and a night on the moor/woods.

So hopefully I made myself clear enough describing what I think I'm after.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
A very WELCOME and timely post! I was wondering when we might move on from what has all the hallmarks of a certain post Christmas self-serving and frankly navel gazing agenda that does little for this site's standing/credibility.

Bring on 2016!

K

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have the Osprey Tempest 30 pack, and an Exped Lightning 60. The Lightning is fantastic. The way it transfers load onto the hips is just brilliant, better than any pack I've ever used. They also make a 45L version. Highly recommend it.

J

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I have the Osprey Tempest 30 pack, and an Exped Lightning 60. The Lightning is fantastic. The way it transfers load onto the hips is just brilliant, better than any pack I've ever used. They also make a 45L version. Highly recommend it. J

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the Exped Lightning. I'm looking for a decent pack in the 40-50 litre range and had been looking at the Osprey Atmos and Montane Grand Tour but the Exped Lightning was not on my radar.

I have problems with my shoulders and the ability to shift weight to the hips and well padded and adjustable shoulder straps is important. A while ago I bought an Osprey Argon 85 litre pack to replace my venerable Karrimor Condor and although the Osprey is much more comfortable, the lightweight fabric already has more battle damage after a couple of years of light use than the Karrimor has after twenty years of abuse.

In an ideal world, I'd like a pack which combines the modern hi-tec shoulder and waist straps of the high-end Osprey packs with the simple ruggedness of the old school Karrimor SF Sabre and other military packs. What is the Exped Lightning like?

Cheers,

Jerry :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the Exped Lightning. I'm looking for a decent pack in the 40-50 litre range and had been looking at the Osprey Atmos and Montane Grand Tour but the Exped Lightning was not on my radar.

I have problems with my shoulders and the ability to shift weight to the hips and well padded and adjustable shoulder straps is important. A while ago I bought an Osprey Argon 85 litre pack to replace my venerable Karrimor Condor and although the Osprey is much more comfortable, the lightweight fabric already has more battle damage after a couple of years of light use than the Karrimor has after twenty years of abuse.

The lightning has a single compartment construction with a dry bag type closure at the top. The suspension system - T-Rex suspension is their name for it - is brilliant. It consists of a single aluminium stay that is attached to a cross piece at the top, giving you the T shape. Fasten the waist strap properly and you can take the shoulder straps off completely, it transfers weight that well.

In an ideal world, I'd like a pack which combines the modern hi-tec shoulder and waist straps of the high-end Osprey packs with the simple ruggedness of the old school Karrimor SF Sabre and other military packs. What is the Exped Lightning like?

The fabric is a Dyneema gridstop. It's billed as a hardwearing fabric. I've only had it for a few months so have not yet managed to destroy it, but it certainly seems harder wearing than my Osprey pack. I am hopeful that it will be as good as the Berghaus Vulcan that it replaces[1]. The whole pack weighs in at 1.1kg on my scales. Compared to the 3.2kg of my old Vulcan. It would be naive to expect something this light to be totally indestructible, so you might not want to throw it down a mountain, but it certainly should withstand the abuse of typical use. The 45L is 1.05kg (the Karrimor SF sabre 45 is 1.8kg). I am considering getting the Lightning 45 as well for summer use when the 60 is overkill.

Highly recommended.

J

[1]I appear to be the only person on the planet who can damage a Vulcan enough to make it no longer usable...

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The lightning has a single compartment construction with a dry bag type closure at the top. The suspension system - T-Rex suspension is their name for it - is brilliant. It consists of a single aluminium stay that is attached to a cross piece at the top, giving you the T shape. Fasten the waist strap properly and you can take the shoulder straps off completely, it transfers weight that well.

The fabric is a Dyneema gridstop. It's billed as a hardwearing fabric. I've only had it for a few months so have not yet managed to destroy it, but it certainly seems harder wearing than my Osprey pack. I am hopeful that it will be as good as the Berghaus Vulcan that it replaces[1]. The whole pack weighs in at 1.1kg on my scales. Compared to the 3.2kg of my old Vulcan. It would be naive to expect something this light to be totally indestructible, so you might not want to throw it down a mountain, but it certainly should withstand the abuse of typical use. The 45L is 1.05kg (the Karrimor SF sabre 45 is 1.8kg). I am considering getting the Lightning 45 as well for summer use when the 60 is overkill.

Highly recommended.

J

[1]I appear to be the only person on the planet who can damage a Vulcan enough to make it no longer usable...

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at at the Exped and the Aiguille Alpine packs that Brynglas recommended. I have a Karrimor SF Sabre 30 which I find very uncomfortable with anything more than very light loads in, it is as tough as old boots but the lack of a proper suspension systems means that the weight stays on your shoulders.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just researched these because of this thread, as sooner or later I will have to start counting the grammes for the sake of hips and knees; the lighteneing 45 seems the ideal prospect in most respects but I'd never be able to get past those awful colours. I wonder if there's a problem dyeing Dyneema a civilised colour, or is this just their take on what's cool?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Just researched these because of this thread, as sooner or later I will have to start counting the grammes for the sake of hips and knees; the lighteneing 45 seems the ideal prospect in most respects but I'd never be able to get past those awful colours. I wonder if there's a problem dyeing Dyneema a civilised colour, or is this just their take on what's cool?

The Exped Lightning in green might be a bit lairy in the flesh but the black/grey one looks pretty innocuous to me and these guys seem to have them at a decent price. A bit more research required but I'm quite tempted. :cool:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_Lightning_45L_Backpack/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=183150&SelectedItem=671065&gclid=COaKquXOhcoCFcoaGwodRv0D0Q

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I got the 60 in black. It looks fine, doesn't stand out on a hill or in the woods. The other colours are a bit icky. But be greatful the mens comes in Black. The ladies fit version doesn't.

J

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I got the 60 in black. It looks fine, doesn't stand out on a hill or in the woods. The other colours are a bit icky. But be greatful the mens comes in Black. The ladies fit version doesn't.

J

After reading/watching a few reviews, I've just ordered the Exped Lightning 45 in black £95 inc delivery from All Outdoor - I seem to have got the last one. Its very different from any pack I've had before and I'll give it a good looking over before deciding whether to keep it - comfort for my creaking shoulders is the essential factor. Looking forward to getting it! :cool:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
After reading/watching a few reviews, I've just ordered the Exped Lightning 45 in black £95 inc delivery from All Outdoor - I seem to have got the last one. Its very different from any pack I've had before and I'll give it a good looking over before deciding whether to keep it - comfort for my creaking shoulders is the essential factor. Looking forward to getting it! :cool:

Excellent choice. When you get the pack, there are a couple of really good videos by exped on youtube about how to set the backsystem up to fit you. Both are well worth watching and following.

The only other tip is if it's raining, make sure you do up the zip on the pocket fully, I closed mine in the dark, missed the final 1mm and soaked the contents (user error not a design fault).

J

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Exped Lightning 45 received a few days ago (thanks to Quixoticgeek for recommendation and tips) and after a bit of fettling, I've done 15 miles over the last couple of days with 7-8 kgs and I can confidently say that it is the most comfortable pack I've ever used with almost all the weight supported on the hips.

The Lightnings are an unusual design with a few quirks and I suspect that it will be a bit of a "marmite" pack but I've been so impressed with it that (having been made a very good offer on an "as new" example) I've ordered the 60 litre version for longer hikes when my 85 litre Osprey (also a very comfy pack) would be too big.

If the OP is still looking for a 40-50 litre lightweight pack then the Lightning 45 is worth a look.

Here's a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKX3m8BnovY

I'll post a more detailed review when I have given them both a workout.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Exped Lightning 45 received a few days ago (thanks to Quixoticgeek for recommendation and tips) and after a bit of fettling, I've done 15 miles over the last couple of days with 7-8 kgs and I can confidently say that it is the most comfortable pack I've ever used with almost all the weight supported on the hips.

NP. It's a great pack and More people may appreciate it. Sure it doesn't quite match the usual Bushcraft Uniform™, and it doesn't take PLCE side pockets, but you can beat it's comfort. Esp when you consider it weight about 1kg.

One thing I have added to mine is the Flash pocket, this is a stretchy stash pocket on the front that is really useful for things like wet tarps, well worth getting.

The Lightnings are an unusual design with a few quirks and I suspect that it will be a bit of a "marmite" pack but I've been so impressed with it that (having been made a very good offer on an "as new" example) I've ordered the 60 litre version for longer hikes when my 85 litre Osprey (also a very comfy pack) would be too big.

Since they released the 2014 version with the compression straps going under the mesh side pockets, from what I can tell every review I've found has been positive.

Just remember to make sure the zip on the pocket is properly closed so you don't soak the contents like I did...

I'll post a more detailed review when I have given them both a workout.

I'm in the process of writing one too. Want to use it for a couple more trips first.

J

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
NP. It's a great pack and More people may appreciate it. Sure it doesn't quite match the usual Bushcraft Uniform™, and it doesn't take PLCE side pockets, but you can beat it's comfort. Esp when you consider it weight about 1kg.

Since they released the 2014 version with the compression straps going under the mesh side pockets, from what I can tell every review I've found has been positive.

My EDC pack is an olive green 30 litre Karrimor SF Sabre which might look a bit "bushcrafty" but the lack of strap adjustment and support makes it painful for me with more than a few kgs in. While I'd love to be able to use retro-cool 1950s Scandanavian army packs or something I made myself, having had both shoulders rebuilt 15 years ago I need to nurse them so its going to have to be a case of performance (and comfort) over style. The Lightnings are for lightweight hiking and mountain walking (the 1kg weight is a real bonus) rather than bushcraft per se. Though not as "bushcrafty" as a bergen, I still have an ancient but perfectly serviceable Karrimor Condor in olive green and brown which should just about get me past the bushcraft fashion police checkpoint on the way between my car and pitch at meets! :rolleyes:

The 60 I've ordered is the older model which seems identical but for the straps going over the side pocket (seems an obvious oversight) but I'll either live with it or re-route the strap - the price was too good to miss.:) I'm going to live with the packs for a bit but can foresee a few bungee/dyneema related mods in due course but one I'm going to do right away is to string some bungee cord across the base to take a foam seating mat to make it accessible and give the base a bit of protection.

One thing I have added to mine is the Flash pocket, this is a stretchy stash pocket on the front that is really useful for things like wet tarps, well worth getting.

Curse you (and Sunndog), I had promised myself (and SWMBO) that my post Xmas spending spree was over but I've just ordered a Flash pocket - £7 from Above & Beyond. That's it though, "Santa's" Xmas bonus really has definitely all gone now, honestly!:rolleyes:

Just remember to make sure the zip on the pocket is properly closed so you don't soak the contents like I did...

I'll bear that in mind! :eek: The (lack of) arrangements for a hydration bladder one thing on the pack that does seem a bit half-@rsed. There is no sleeve or proper attachment point for the bladder and having the hose exit through the (otherwise) waterproof zip effectively renders using a platypus etc. unworkable unless you can guarantee that you will have no rain all day. It should be possible to design a port for the hose that does not go through the pocket without affecting the integrity of the pack. Although I'm a fan of hydration bladders (especially for cycling and driving in hot places) I do sometimes worry about not being able to keep track of how much is left unlike when a nalgene/Sigg bottle. Having the option for a bladder would be nice but I can live without one and 1 litre nalgene/Sigg bottles fit neatly in the side pockets and IMHO are more use when camping.

I'm in the process of writing one too. Want to use it for a couple more trips first.

I won't steal your thunder and will await your review and thanks again for pointing me in the direction of Exped, a brand which was not really on my radar. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE