Backpack with suspension/aeration and removable PLCE-type side pouches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Evening fellow forumites,

Whilst I've been set on another Karrimor SF backpack to bridge the gap between my Sabre 30 and 60-100, I've also been considering the fact that I find backpacks with suspension systems (like Berghaus's Freeflow) far, far more comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Are there any robust backpacks with that sort of suspension/aeration system and that also have removable side pouches, like the PLCE ones used on Karrimor SF Sabre and Predator lines?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Hugh

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
It might be worth finding an olive bergan you like that has a blank panel on the side and see if you can get the Zips added. The following companis do berghan mods so it might be worth a call.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
It might be worth finding an olive bergan you like that has a blank panel on the side and see if you can get the Zips added. The following companis do berghan mods so it might be worth a call.

Hi Oliver, great idea on getting a pack customised to add flexibility. I'm really after something with a decent suspension and aeration system though, so I'd likely need to be adding the PLCE type sides onto a backpack with such a suspension system already in place. Retrofitting such a system to an army-type pack I imagine would not be feasible?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'd likely need to be adding the PLCE type sides onto a backpack with such a suspension system already in place. Retrofitting such a system to an army-type pack I imagine would not be feasible?
I see no reason why that would be an issue. As long as you have sufficient 'real estate' on the side of your preferred pack, it would be a very simple job to remove any existing side pockets and then sew on the two zips that are required to attach the PLCE pockets. They are a standard spec zip - I'm pretty sure they are Ykk Vislon No. 10 (hopefully someone here can confirm that). Rather than buy the zips new, it might even be cheaper to buy a couple of beaten up of side pockets off ebay and harvest the zips from those.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I see no reason why that would be an issue. As long as you have sufficient 'real estate' on the side of your preferred pack, it would be a very simple job to remove any existing side pockets and then sew on the two zips that are required to attach the PLCE pockets. They are a standard spec zip - I'm pretty sure they are Ykk Vislon No. 10 (hopefully someone here can confirm that). Rather than buy the zips new, it might even be cheaper to buy a couple of beaten up of side pockets off ebay and harvest the zips from those.
Oh sorry, I meant adding the suspension system to an army-type pack would likely be a real challenge. Adding the PLCE zips to a modern suspension pack could indeed work and I'll certainly investigate. Thank you for the suggestion.

Though I've just discovered the Flex Capacitor 40-60 which internally manages to provide similar flexibility without the need for the PLCE! I do really love the ability to just add/take away pouches for e.g. food/cook gear in one and wet weather gear in the other though...

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
No worries, it's easy to get confused over the internet, I bet there are some military back packs with the suspension systems but they'll cost a bomb.

If you do go for the PLCE route see if they'll add the male clips as well, they're dead handy if you stash stuff behind the pouches, pop the clips together through my saw hand guard so that it doesn't slip out.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't understand exactly what you mean. Perhaps you may show photos or links to photos to explain it visually.

Such rucksacks that are similar to the British army rucksacks with huge side pouches are or were made by Lowe Alpine, Arwy, Berghaus, Eberlestock, Karrimor SF, Norrona, Snigel and Wisport. There is a similar Danish army rucksack too, but pretty rare.

Varusteleka offers Särmä TST General Purpose Pouches XL that can serve as side pouches for the Särmä or Savotta rucksacks, I think it would also fit to some Tasmanian Tiger models.

Essl follows a different concept but is also worth a look, as well as the current original Austrian Army Rucksack 90.

Last not least there is Defcon 5, they deliver to the Italian army.

Only used one can find a younger or current French army F2 rucksack 110 litres in CCE, made by Seyntex, that's also similar. (Arwy and such models made by Lowe Alpine you also can get only used from the Dutch army)

If we talk about quality makers who offer rucksacks with huge sidepouches that's more or less all I think.

Apart from things like the south African Grootsak or whatever that exist but usually aren't offered in Europe.

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I think? the OP/hughtrimble may mean a system akin to that on the Osprey Aether or Atmos????
Spot on - I had drafted a reply to Erbswurst previously but clearly hadn't posted it, my apologies.

I now have the 25-40 and 40-60 litre Flex Capacitors, but the 60-80 unfortunately only comes in a back length that will not fit me. They're very far from perfect, but I find them extremely comfortable when laden. They're also not even the truly ventilated back type! It's just the scapula and lumbar pads give room for air to circulate somewhat.

I'm now waiting on Osprey to release a >80 litre updated pack with the exterior water bladder access like on the Kestrel...

I've given up on the PLCE side pouch addition idea, I think it was daft to contemplate getting the fixings added to a non PU coated thick nylon military style pack. I've still got my 60-100 Sabre for those pack donkey trips which don't require much walking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE