Back to freedom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Actually, on the assumption that a country which has no UK diplomatic mission will be one from which a visa is required before entering the UK, I think the OP is considering becoming a hobo in a foreign country as a career option! If give up your UK citizenship, they are not just going to welcome you back at the airport and allow you to go work offshore in the North Sea without a question.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Since our correspondent is `Offshore` that means he wishes to go where there is Oil...

Only country I know of that doesnt allow dual citizenship is India, but im sure there are many more.

The US doesn't either. But that said, both the US and India have consulates in the UK.

No country I know of just 'gives' citzenship as easily as the OP suggests though. Normall you'd have to first apply for a long term visa and live there a minmum time before it would even be considerred. Either the OP is rolling as willowisp says OR! he's found a country that's so bad nobody wants to go there.

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Just my two penneth......

I would strongly recommend some travel, I know many who have done it and none who regretted it or did not come out better for the experience.

I got stalled, had anxiety so I relocated and ultimately chased and found a life more suitable, I miss yorkshire and familiarities but I'm doing better than before!

But, it sounds like your anxiety is far more profound than mine was so perhaps you might want to think about seeing someone about it?
(I did and I'm glad of that too!)

My life panned out a lot more different than my thoughts at 21!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Nice to have a house all paid for, we love it. And the "gold-plated" pensions from public service are good too. Oh and no apologies for being baby boomers either. But, I don't think many young people nowadays would look at the first house we rented. Or take the crap we had to take during our working lives, no equality legislation, health and safety, anti-bullying etc etc until near the end of our working lives. Spent 42 years helping the public and now mostly I help myself to what I want to do.

You are freeer when working than living on social security.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nice to have a house all paid for, we love it. And the "gold-plated" pensions from public service are good too. Oh and no apologies for being baby boomers either. But, I don't think many young people nowadays would look at the first house we rented. Or take the crap we had to take during our working lives, no equality legislation, health and safety, anti-bullying etc etc until near the end of our working lives. Spent 42 years helping the public and now mostly I help myself to what I want to do.

Oh, so + 1 to that. My thoughts entirely.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

Can I just say don't tar all the young with the same brush. Not all under 30's are the same.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Your right sorry my bad, I have been hearing this a lot of my recently retired mum and her friends (all teachers) while I (Systems Engineer) and my sister (Police officer) are in the room it's been nagging at me must be a generational thing.

It is. And when you're our age, you'll have the same problems with your kids. LOL.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Buy a wood or get job in Alaska and buy there.

If you earn what I have heard people offshore earn, save as much as possible, and you could buy outright. I agree with the person who said buy property, you do not have to live there, rent it out, and then if you need somewhere to live you would have somewhere.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Hardly "get off my lawn" when so many adult kids are moving back in with their parents. But still "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." Robert Frost....... and welcome

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've lived in houses all my life but its sometimes a hell of a worry keeping a roof over my head. That's when I (or rather the bank) own a house.
I don't always have work, being self employed is usually OK but there's no holiday pay and if I run out of work I don't get paid for sitting around on my backside.

The worries you describe are pretty normal, possibly made worse by past experiences but they are pretty much the same as we all have.

As for furniture, you have access to a computer so its worth joining Freecycle, people put decent furniture on there that's free for the taking, helps if you have a van or a mate with a van to pick it up.
Make it known amongst your mates/workmates what furniture you need and its surprising just what turns up for free when they decide the sofa is the wrong colour for the new wallpaper.
Not sure your full circumstances but as far as I'm concerned the biggest single thing you can do to increase your employment prospects is getting a full car licence, I arsed about for years with only a motorbike licence and without any shadow of a doubt it affected the work I got. being mobile with a licence means you can either have your own car or maybe drive the works van.
Employers want people who can drive even if they don't have their own car and that bit of paper makes a huge difference to your prospects.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Assuming this is real, because the story keeps on getting more ridiculous as you go along, I'm gonna give you some advice, cause you seem to have made up your mind. If you're gonna live in the woods, make yourself a tipi out of a standard poly tarp, and make yourself a stove out of a five gallon bucket, or something along those lines. Also, see a doctor. Serious anxiety issues aren't something you should brush off.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

My kids range in age from 30 to 14 and this applies to most of them. Some have learned differently now.

Probably true, but being trapped in the rat-cage race can feel pretty grim at times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE