Back of the shed find - homemade wood gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Today I came across another one of my homemade stoves. During a period of unemployment a few years ago I took to designing and building lots of different kinds of stoves. This process also yielded the "box stoves" I occasssionally sell on here. In this case we have an inverted downdraft wood gassifier, made from a soup tin wedged inside a paint tin.. It's 100% naturally aspirated (no fans) and runs quite happily on small pieces of wood.

IMAG0481.jpg

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Dialing these in precisely is a tricky art. I'm sure there's some equations proper "combustion engineers" could use to set these up properly. I'm my case it was just a case of trial and error.

In the case of this stove its one big weakness is its ideal operating temperature is right at the top of the range of temperatures it is capable of operating at. In other words, I suspect this one is a bit too small to properly sustain a wood gassifaction reaction. Nonetheless, once you get it going, go it does. Bright blue jets of flame from the air holes all round the top.

I may experiment further with this one.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Dialing these in precisely is a tricky art. I'm sure there's some equations proper "combustion engineers" could use to set these up properly. I'm my case it was just a case of trial and error.

In the case of this stove its one big weakness is its ideal operating temperature is right at the top of the range of temperatures it is capable of operating at. In other words, I suspect this one is a bit too small to properly sustain a wood gassifaction reaction. Nonetheless, once you get it going, go it does. Bright blue jets of flame from the air holes all round the top.

I may experiment further with this one.

interesting, turns out i got lucky then as i built one of these from a coffee tin and baked bean tin and got the perfect burn on the first one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE