BA Bivvy issue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Basically, my Bivvy bag was filthy so I hand washed it in soap flakeslike I do all my goretex gear. I was gentle, but all of the tape seams have come away. Ended up as a big yellow bundle in the bottom of the bag. Anyone had this happen?

I guess I can use seam sealer, but is it going to be worth it? does it need sealing?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
its the whole bag though, it might be cheaper to buy a new one.

Just get a tube of bathroom silicone and thin it down 2:1 with white spirits, brush it on and leave it to dry overnight. You can mask the edges with tape if you want but as it's inside I wouldn't bother.

Do it in small batches as it goes off really quickly.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Just get a tube of bathroom silicone and thin it down 2:1 with white spirits, brush it on and leave it to dry overnight. You can mask the edges with tape if you want but as it's inside I wouldn't bother.

Do it in small batches as it goes off really quickly.

that sounds the ticket! thanks fire the tip!

couple of daft questions: I take it you mean just in the seam, how thick/wide, should I paint the line?

and will clean spirit work (fumes)?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
that sounds the ticket! thanks fire the tip!

couple of daft questions: I take it you mean just in the seam, how thick/wide, should I paint the line?

and will clean spirit work (fumes)?

Just the seam. You only need to cover the join. i try to do 0.5 cm each side of the centre. Dont make it too thick. nice and runny makes life easier

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Same thing just happened to me (teach me to wash stuff - cleanliness, hah!) so I've bought some McNett seam sealer to re-glue the tapes back on, as recommended on an old thread here. A nice little job next time I've half a day to spare - any more tips anyone?

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
I thunk silicon might be a good fix, should tidy up the mess too! there is a lot of dyed glue, should it be cleaned first, if so, what's safe to use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE