axe shaft sizers?

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
I Recently tried a tip someone on the forum gave me with axe heads that are coated in rust by leaving them in vinigure for 2 to 3 days! And it worked a treat!!! :D I acquired 3 different size axe heads last year, starting from a tiny one (a lot smaller than a hatchet head), a forrest size head and a large slitting head! :)

Iv already started making a handle out of ash for the smallest but what i want to do with the middle size is buy a shaft in that's the same size as the forest axe. Does anyone have one and no what measurements it is and if its the perfect size for travelling with etcetera..

This is a store on ebay i found that seem reasonably priced..

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Garden-and...xe&submit=Search&_fsub=8933726&_sid=380293137

cheers guys

cowboy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
What do you think about taking your axe head with you to DIY shop and measuring how it fits?? I would do just that if I where you. ;)

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I initially thought you wanted to know how to fit a handle (was going to point you to a cracking post by Robin Wood that shows how) but are you asking what length the handle should be?

The GF SFA handle is 19" btw.

Last edited:

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
cheers guys thats just what i needed! I found a great shop on ebay that sells hardwood handles in all sizers at a fair price with metal/wood wedges! :)

Once iv put it all together and made a sheath for it ill post some picture up on here!!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
cheers guys thats just what i needed! I found a great shop on ebay that sells hardwood handles in all sizers at a fair price with metal/wood wedges! :)

Once iv put it all together and made a sheath for it ill post some picture up on here!!

Is that the one you linked to in the first post or another one??

I'm after a similar handle for an axe I've recently acquired.

Andy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I ordered an 18" handle from that seller well over two weeks ago now. Haven't had a thing through the post though it was supposed to be dispatched on the 3rd of August.

I've sent the guy two messages now - he has until tomorrow to either get in touch or for my item to arrive before I open up a dispute with paypal.

- Got to say I don't reccommend him.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE