Axe re-handle HELP!

Treestalker

May 26, 2012
Wirral
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of restoring an old rusty hand axe. i've cleaned up the head and metal wedge, and ordered a new hickory handle off evilbay!

It arrived the other day and as expected it will need a bit shaving off to fit. Thats not much of a problem, but it didnt come with a wooden wedge and it wasnt cut. (my fault, late night shopping strikes again...)

My questions are:
1. Is it essential to have a wooden wedge? will the metal wedge be okay on its own?

2. If I need a wooden wedge, i can make one. I presume it will have to be dry/seasoned wood, and as wide as the handle. But will any wood do, or will i need something like ash? and do i keep the grain the same direction as the handle or crossing it? Also, roughly what angle should the wedge be for best effect?

3. If I need a wedge, i'll also need to cut a slot in the handle. How deep will this cut need to be in relavance to where the axe head will sit (3/4, 4/5, the full length, etc)? How wide should the cut be (is a pruning saw too fat, hack saw too thin)?

4. Any ideas how to cut the handle without a vice and still have fingers at the end of the day?

All your help is appreciated, Many thanx

Treestalker

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The best way to cut the slot would be with a band saw (this width is about right also) It should be as deep as the flare in the axe head. Any hardwood will do but hickory would be best (just like for the handle itself)

I've rehandled and used axes with only a wooden wedge but never with only a metal one. The metal wedges sole purpose is to help hold the wooden one in place. Preferably all pieces will be fitted with a waterproof contact cement as well.

If you don't have access to a bandsaw or a vice, strap the handle down to something such as a porch rail or stair rail with the end sticking off the edge. Or have a friend stand on it with the edge sticking off the edge of the porch or a tailgate or something similar.

After fastenig it down you could also use a high speed blade on something like a Dremmel tool.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I usually cut the slot with a standard crosscut saw. A pruning saw would work, hacksaw would not.
As Santa said, the cut needs to be the depth of the axe head.
A wooden wedge is best cut from decent hardwood, the UK equivalent of hickory is Ash but oak or beech work well too.
Cut the wedge about 3" (75mm) long, tapering from about 6mm to 0mm and the length of the axe's eye
dry fit the head and see where it binds and keep removing a bit at a time until the head is a tightish fit hammer in the wooden wedge and then stick one or two metal wedges across the wooden wedge as close to 90 degrees to it as the eye will allow.

Last edited:

Treestalker

May 26, 2012
Wirral
Thanks everyone for all your help, you mostly confirmed my first thoughts and I probably would of bodged something close enough... But the link Hugo gave was exactly what I was looking for, but unable to find on my own! Your help is really appreciated!

Many thanx,
Treestalker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE