Austrian army tipi/lavvu (Another)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
SOLD to Wattsy!

I have another old bit of Austrian army kit for sale.

This one's in really good condition and available for at £65 including delivery.

It's cotton canvas and reversible, with a different camo pattern on each side. Vents also have covers on both sides (unlike the Polish lavvu).

Four piece construction with each piece buttoning to the next. Double buttoning at each point (in fact it has more buttons on it than you can shake a stick at). A single, central, four-piece aluminium pole supports with eight pegs, one at each corner for guying out.

It's similar to the Polish lavvu but I've never tried to figure out if it can be worn as a poncho (it doesn't have draw-cords to form the hood but does have vents/armholes). There are multiple additional buttons which are not used when set up as a tent and suggest another use is intended. Two pieces can be buttoned together and allow it to be used as tarp.

The canvas is in very good condition overall with no damage from mildew. Reproofing wouldn't be a bad idea and it would benefit from adjustable straps at the pegging points rather than static cord to make tensioning easier.

The pegs are really super; heavy duty aluminium and especially good in soft ground due to their width.

Also comes with the original guy rope to allow you to pitch only 2 or 3 of the sections, leaving the front open, if you wish.

Total weight is approx 7kg.

Height is 1.48m

It's octagonal in shape with each side approx 1.4m in length (For comparison Polish lavvu has sides approx 0.95m).

Approximately 2.8m in diameter and easily sleeps 2 with kit.

Please note the pictures below are not of the actual one I have for sale although it is identical. These pictures show the other one I used and sold last November.

AL1.jpg

AL2.jpg

AL3.jpg

AL4.jpg
AL5.jpg

AL8.jpg

First to PM secures.

Buyer to pay PayPal fees.

Cheapest post option will be used unless otherwise agreed.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Hi there.

Wondering what they're like on open ground in a bit of wind. Nothing extreme just a decent blow.

Looks great though and putting 7kg in my pack tonight to see what the weights like for short walk ins etc. (<7miles).

Whats it's pack size like? Would it fit into a 40litre low alpine pack?
Thinking it might be good or days at the beach too.

Cheers

Michael

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
Hi Michael,

I don't believe I ever used my other one of these in windy conditions so I can't give you a first hand account of the performance.

What I can say is:

It's quite low and wide so won't catch the wind very much.

The pegs are really study and allow it to be secured well to the ground.

The lower edges fit very close to the ground so there's not a great deal of space for wind to get under.

Each piece is double buttoned to the next and so is unlikely to be affected by the wind.

The material itself is very robust.

As for pack size, I can get it in the main section of my Berghaus Freeflow 35+8 with a bit of room to spare (not much though). It would fit in your pack but you wouldn't have a lot of room to for addditional kit unless you strapped the poles and pegs to the outside.

Cheers,

Tom

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Only curious but where did you take the phots? I'm still scouting various sites out as I moved up here a year ago

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
Dunkeld.

Unfortunately that particular spot has become popular with idiots as it's within a short walk of the village.

After the fair last year it was left in a terrible state, even the trees were vandalised with spray paint!

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Wondering what they're like on open ground in a bit of wind. Nothing extreme just a decent blow.

Hi mabster, I don't have this tent but I have every confidence it will handle strong winds in an open evironment.
For example,
http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=32790
Obviously not the same thing but the design prinicple is. :)

I really like that tent, Earlyriser. If I could I would, best of luck,
B4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE