atlatl event 13th of May

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
with primitive weapon demos on the day before! camping is available as before
equipment can be borrowed on the day and prizes will be the same collection of animal parts and wierd rocks.
entry forms

http://www.spearthroweruk.net/events.aspx
closing date for entries is monday 7th of may and again places are limited.
see you there Niall

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
just a reminder for those thinking of coming. We will be having a "prize blanket" this time.
People bring along a decent prize of primitive goodies then we take it in turns (from 1st place on) taking prizes at the end of the contest. there are prizes keft over form the last one and We have a few more antlers and so on so there is no compulsion. But it would be quite fun.
I hope this description makes sense.
For those wanting to practice we will be holding an impromptu atlatl day at oast farm on sat 28th of april. probably just an ISAC and some praciticing.
PM me for details

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Ahhh bugger! I was hoping to come along to the next one, but i'll be in Dublin emptyinhmy bank account on a Stag weekend on this date!

Next time gadget!

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
dommy why not come down for the ISAC morning on tbe 28th of apri? you'll get a fairly good idea of what it's all about before the next event.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
Rabbit sticks, slings,atlatls arrowss. Shooting pig carcases!!!!!!If this sounds like fun to you you have a few days left in which to sign up for the primiitve weapons event at Oast farm.
primwep063uv8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi jerv,

Do you think it would ok to just turn up, watch and learn?

I've taken a sudden interest in archery and atl-atls since my son got his first bow made by bent-stick.

Need to talk to the Mrs. but might be up for camping on the Saturday. Is the campsite woodland or pasture?

Many thanks,

Phil.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
yes you can watch if you like.
the camping is pasture and a small stand of spruce. The camping is really onl;y just an acre and is pretty sheltered. There is a hut available if you like as well.
Be good to see you there.

Hi jerv,

We'd love to come :D

We'd use our Lavvu but thanks for the offer of the hut ;)

Prolly be along Saturday morning - will there be any hazel to make some atl-atls and dart from or should I bring some cut lenghts to play with?

Is it too late to enter the competition just for fun? If so we'd have to make our atl-atls etc.

Cheers,

Phil.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
It would be great if you entered the competition.
I have loads and loads of atlatls and spears and can give you some if you'd like. Making your own atlatl is probably a good idea. There is plenty of info on the web and on old threads on BCUK.
we'll probably be able to find some hazel either at the farm or at the land. It is a good idea to fletch darts with feathers or duct tape.
let me know if you want any advice or anything
we should have a few first timers so I'll probably do a bit of coaching on saturday evening

jerv said:
It would be great if you entered the competition.
I have loads and loads of atlatls and spears and can give you some if you'd like. Making your own atlatl is probably a good idea. There is plenty of info on the web and on old threads on BCUK.
we'll probably be able to find some hazel either at the farm or at the land. It is a good idea to fletch darts with feathers or duct tape.
let me know if you want any advice or anything
we should have a few first timers so I'll probably do a bit of coaching on saturday evening

In which case jerv can you please allow me, my Mrs. and if ok my 6 year old son to enter the competition? None of us are fussed at how well we do - just love to take part.

I have made one atl-atl and dart before - but I gave this to a friend to play with. As you stated I used duct tape to fletch the dart.

I'll be sure to sling my hand tools in the car along with some other projects.

Any help, advice or coaching appreciated - payment in beer ok? :D

Is there anything I need to do at this stage?

Cheers,

Phil.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
Alas I am a joyless tea totaller, but the offer of beer is appreciated. You don't have to do anything just bring what you think you'll need on the day. PM me for my email address and I'll send you a map.
If you want to show off any other primitive weapons just bring them along. I'll have the rabbit sticks there and some slings but I'm not much use with either.
Niall

jerv said:
Alas I am a joyless tea totaller, but the offer of beer is appreciated. You don't have to do anything just bring what you think you'll need on the day. PM me for my email address and I'll send you a map.
If you want to show off any other primitive weapons just bring them along. I'll have the rabbit sticks there and some slings but I'm not much use with either.
Niall

Hi Niall,

I'll have no primitive weapons to show off I' afraid - unless you'd count the Mrs. :eek:

Looking forward to some more skills to learn. I will PM you my email addy.

BTW - I also PM'd bent-stick as I managed to work out he was one of the oganisers.

Best rergards,

Phil.

The van is packed with an obsecene amout of kit, my hand tools and some leather to play with. Perhaps my 110v transformer and chop saw won't be needed :D

Should be down at about noon if all goes well - might have to grab a few more lengths of hazel on route.

Cheers,

Phil.

Just a quick note:-

WOW waht a weekend :D

Finally got back home after dropping the lavvu round at the in-laws to dry in their barn.

A big thank you from Nikki, Ben and I to you all for making our weekend such good fun. Ben's fingers are still a little bit raw at the tips from a weekend of archery - think the rain and cold must have made them numb towards the end of the last ISAC shoot.

Ben has had a wonderful weekend and everyones patience with him and allowing him to use his bow and arrows instead of an atl-atl was greatly appreciated.

jerv please pass on our thanks to Jeremy and his folks for the use of their land and also to Penny for allowing us to camp at her place on Saturday night.

We are all looking forward to soaking our sore shouldersand arms in the bath :eek:

Cheers,

Phil, Nikki and Ben.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Glad you all enjoyed it - in spite of the weather.

I'll put you all down for membership of the primitive archery and atlatl society when we eventually get it made official.

I seem to be missing a bit of cake ;)

bent-stick said:
Glad you all enjoyed it - in spite of the weather.

I'll put you all down for membership of the primitive archery and atlatl society when we eventually get it made official.

I seem to be missing a bit of cake ;)

Yes the weather was far from perfect - my Swanni is still drying out! :rolleyes:

Think we'll need family membership! :lmao:

THE CAKE!!!!! I left it one the side by the wheelbarrow - did you find it/them?

Phil.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
RAIN !!!!!!!!!
here are some photos of the event. As the oprganiser I don;t really feel I can comment too much on the event. I thought that the atlatl penetration tests worked very well.
The field course was a bit too difficult this time. But I am amazed how well the targets stood up to the rain
after an Isac on saturday we went and tried some penetration tests at my friends land
primitivechamps325yn1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The penetration test involved shooting primitive arrows (hazel shafts, antler bone and flint heads) and ice age replica atlatl darts at a flank of pork.

fallow deer antler. I think that the target could move too much and lots of force was dissipated leading to less penetration. However every type of head easily penetrated the thick bones of the pig. One flint point was irretrevably stuck into the pigs upper limb and on examination I have found that it has penetrated about 1 inch into the bone and caused a massive break.
primitivechamps358bk6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
atlatls
Too much kit's "survival atlatl dart" a green hazel dart punched through the ribs
primitivechamps366nc2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A reindeer bodkin style head (what the magdalenian reindeer hunters used). About 30cm of penetration having broken two ribs on the way in.
primitivechamps367vl7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
heres a film of the throw (the snapping sound when the dart hits is bones giving way.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48tuQ3LYt0Q
There was a fair amount of drizzle during the field shoot so were fairly few photos taken.
Bent stick throwing at the special Mammoth target
primitivechamps331rt3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bambi bravely refused a blindfold
primitivechamps337es0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

too much kit throwing
primitivechamps333vy0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ms too much kit
primitivechamps362ms6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

archery films

1st shot of the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyl4rTe5Wt8

more shots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLur7zrA1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQagenuFUw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE