astra tdi ecu problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone know about fuel pump ecu units for astra (isuzu 1.7tdi unit for 52 plate)? Is £400 or so parts, labour and vat expensive?
The car just cut out on motorway and the garage says it needs a new fuel ecu. There's two ecu's for the fuel system i believe. Would both need to be replaced? What about the fuel pump, would that need to be replaced too?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Well I have been a vectra tdi owner for 5 years (51 plate). What you describe sounds more like a Air Mass Sensor fault. ECU is a digital circuit and in most cases when it goes, it dies completely. So if your car starts and runs normaly than look somewhere else. Air Mass Sensor is that black plastic tube with a plug and wires coming out of it between your air filter and turbo. It's common knowledge they need replacing every circa 60k miles on tdi from that period.
Genuine one costs 60 pounds, refurbished about 20 and you can replace it yourself in 4 minutes with a screwdriver.

On the motorway when you reach a certain load (faster with your foot down, slower when gentle with accelertor) ECU gets a wrong measurement from the sensor and the fault cus the engine down in to a sefe mode. After turning the ignition off and on the engine light resets. Sounds familiar?

Generally:
ecu - won't start, weird behaviour, no power all the time
air intake problems (ams, turbo, crack in the hose) - no power, safe mode in the same situation
fuel problems (pump, injectors) - jerky and uneven engine running,
engine block (librication, cooling) - smoke screen behind

These engines are considered unbreakable and 300k are not uncommon.
Try another mechanic before you start spending this amount of money, fuel pump replacement is 500-600 pounds and a used engine 800-900 quid so there is no point.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
then it is the cheap one. this is the ecu, four 10mm bolts hold it to the back of the pump, unplug it, then undo them then reverse to fit. you may need a suitable code reader to clear the codes once fitted but these can be had for £10-£20 on amazon and you'll have it forever then

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vauxhall-Astra-Combo-1-7-isuzu-Dti-Td-Ecu-Edu-8971891360-16267710-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/E9MAAOxy4c5RsQGO/$(KGrHqRHJDoFGqnOouU)BRsQGOsQ1w~~60_35.JPG

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The warning light (car with spanner through it) came on and car slowed. It was not quite like low fuel where the engine splutters and recovers a few times before spluttering to a stop. It was just a single splutter the engine stopped and i coasted to hard shoulder to stop under a bridge as close to barrier as poss.
Recovery guy looked at fuel in pipes and first thing i did before calling recovery was put about £5 of fuel in. Garage ran £30 worth of diagnostics to determine what the codes meant. Tracked the problems to the fuel pump ecu.
Costs £200 or so with labour and vat on top. I know someone else.with the same 1.7dti who had the same issue. He paid more than me. The replacement part was a modified version of the ecu that has this dry connection issue in it. Wait and see i guess. Unlikely to fail on us again as we'll be replacing it within 6 months.
Id love to replace the myself but not got the confidence in myself to do it. The real cheapo solution is to open up the ecu (or is it the edu?), clean and solder any dry connections. There are companies offering to do this for £45 or so on ebay too.
Think i'm as happy as you can be for £400 with the local garage. They're usually fair with their prices and pretty good too.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
up to you mate, like i said, its £45 for the gauranteed fixed part on ebay and it will take no more than 2 mins to fit it it a 10mm socket and ratchet. £400 is way too much

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
good garage guide get a second opinion. Arnold Clark fleeced my dad three times for same repair. Branch Manager knew his mechanic was lazy, he didnt do it right the second time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE