As far as my feet will carry me - book review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
I have recently read a book called As far as my feet will carry me by J M Bauer.
A quick description of the story a german paratrooper by the name of Clemens Forrell (Not actually his real name, says in the book he wont revel his real name, he wanted to stay anonymous) who was curely awarded by the russian goverement 25 years hard labour in a lead mine in the east cape of Siberia, the most eastern point of the Russian federation.

But with him working and sleeping in the mine he was slowley being posioned, so the cure for the posioning is to get away from lead. So he embarks on a 14000km (8000 mile) journey to freedom from East cape in Siberia to Muinch in Germany, which takes him 3 years. During his epic journey he meets shall we say various people some who help and some who dont and a near fatal betrayal, If thats not bad enough he encounters a pack of ravenous flesh hungry wolves . A truley harrowing story of human endurance and survival which was fueled by the thought of escaping his own personal living hell and getting home to see his wife and kids.

An absolute brillant book couldnt put it down.

One of the great escape stories, an acheivment that can seldom if ever, have been equalled.

Dec 18, 2006
somerset uk
One of my ex brother in laws favourite books , I read it after he told me about it and it became one of my favourite books .

great story of cold weather survival well worth reading

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
BOD said:
A good read as you say. Makes you realise that our 'problems' are small in comparison

What is for me an important lesson is that long term survival ultimately depends on other people and how even in terrible times - Stalinist Russia and WW2 you can find good people and generoisity.

My gran is from Latvia. She had to escape with her sister across europe away from the Russian army who took over her home and turned it into a forward post. They ended up walking over to Holland I think, then took a boat to england - been here ever since...

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jamie6754 said:
I have recently read a book called As far as my feet will carry me by J M Bauer.
A quick description of the story a german paratrooper by the name of Clemens Forrell (Not actually his real name, says in the book he wont revel his real name, he wanted to stay anonymous) who was curely awarded by the russian goverement 25 years hard labour in a lead mine in the east cape of Siberia, the most eastern point of the Russian federation.

But with him working and sleeping in the mine he was slowley being posioned, so the cure for the posioning is to get away from lead. So he embarks on a 14000km (8000 mile) journey to freedom from East cape in Siberia to Muinch in Germany, which takes him 3 years. During his epic journey he meets shall we say various people some who help and some who dont and a near fatal betrayal, If thats not bad enough he encounters a pack of ravenous flesh hungry wolves . A truley harrowing story of human endurance and survival which was fueled by the thought of escaping his own personal living hell and getting home to see his wife and kids.

An absolute brillant book couldnt put it down.

One of the great escape stories, an acheivment that can seldom if ever, have been equalled.

Sounds very much like the story of a man I know. A member of Von Paulus' army, captured at Stalingrad, he escaped and walked back to Germany about 1949. He now lives in Duluth, Minnesota.

He speaks very good Russian and English, and has been useful as a translator a number of times, but he still can't look a Russian in the face, even after all these years.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
dave k said:
My gran is from Latvia. She had to escape with her sister across europe away from the Russian army who took over her home and turned it into a forward post. They ended up walking over to Holland I think, then took a boat to england - been here ever since...

Yes terrible stuiff. My mother was part of the Finnish retreat from outisde Leningrad in winter back to Finland ahead of the Russians.

not as far a holland but no fun she said

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE