Article: Part 1 - Build your own Father and Son Bow - Start to trimming the limbs

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If one is going to cut a limb to shape a bow why bother with the "son". Shape a bow from a single rod. Even an unmodified hazel rod, apart from the nocks, will shoot quite well, as Tom Foy mentions in his book Guide to Archery (from memory) " An archer attended a field archery shoot without equipment. Unable to bear not shooting he cut a hazel rod from the hedgerow and, using standard arrows, shoot a decent round."

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
The second limb will make the bow last longer (single rod bows made from thin Hazel will snap easily when seasoned - I know, as I have tried what you suggest) It will support the Father especially if it develops set or a hinge. The Son gives the bow more power than its draw weight should allow.

A single pole will do the job in the short term but if you want a bow that is quick to make, gives you extra poundage for free and will keep on working then the Father and Son bow does the job for me.

If I have not explained it enough have a look at this video.

The Penobscot Bow

The best way to find out why you should bother with the Son is to go and build one yourself, shoot it out for a few years and then let us know what you think.

George

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I haven't built a Father and Son bow but did have a simple hazel bow that lasted for more than two years, admittedly it was shot infrequently. But I just wondered and now having looked at that video I see that it acts the same as a cordage bow. Each to their own.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The "Father Son " bow I made at the Moot 3 or 4 years ago is still shooting well (about 40lbs) but I will be looking for more hazel this weekend ...just to have another go at this :)
Great article, very clear instructions and I am looking forward to part 2 :)

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Well, I couldn't wait for part 2 so I had a little read of your blog. I love this idea. Made one this afternoon and I'm really impressed with both the ease of build and the power. I'll do some more fiddling on Monday and stick up some pictures.
Should be a great addition to my instructor tool box for teaching next year. Thanks!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Well, I couldn't wait for part 2 so I had a little read of your blog. I love this idea. Made one this afternoon and I'm really impressed with both the ease of build and the power. I'll do some more fiddling on Monday and stick up some pictures.
Should be a great addition to my instructor tool box for teaching next year. Thanks!

Great to hear you made one Pete.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE