Article: How To.... Build a Finnish Rakovalkea Gap Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I really enjoyed that, as I do all of your tutorials, great! I do like a long fire, try to make them as often as I can, but I'll have to try this too! :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
thanks for tutorial, is this method better than just placing two long logs side-by-side and then placing one larger long log on top of those two, and if so for what reasons? method shown requires some work whereas placing one on top of two does not, for example that 'axed-out channel' would not have to be cut with three logs as the 'channel' is formed naturally by the gap inbetween the three logs, so i was wondering what the benefits are, if it is because two logs on bottom would create too much heat burning the top log too quickly could you not just use a very large log on top of two smaller logs, i could understand it if logs were scarce but you say where that method is normaly used logs are usually plentiful. Just curious as to its benefits considering the work involved :) ATB

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice fire.

Dont know if youve seen it, but theres a guy on youtube did quite a good tutorial on this type of fire. I think he got it to last 6 hours....

[video=youtube;hTKGD6Y2mDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKGD6Y2mDw[/video]

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
That is a modern, labour intense way to do it.

As you are being direct then so will I. This method takes a while to set up however it will last far longer than most other fires. If you want to sleep for longer periods without having to tend the fire in a cold environment then this is proven to work.

The fact that I have used a nail does not make it modern as they have been around for a long time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE