Article: How To…. Build a Finnish/Swedish Candle – No chainsaw – Part 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A very good article!
For smaller versions I have simply split a log into 4 and hammered each part into the ground with a slight gap between the sections then continued as per the article.

bearbait

Neat. Thanks.

A good gap between the pieces is fundamental. I once made one (very laboriously) with 4 deep cuts using a bow saw, making 8 segments, and failed miserably trying to light it - even with accelerant - as there was not sufficient air gap between the segments. (Solution: split with axe and have regular fire!)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Cheers guys, thanks for looking.

I tried with the bow saw once before and failed as well.

I have actually written two other articles on this (on my blog) with one covering what you have said.

I will post them up at some stage.

Cheers

George

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Love your pictures!
Looks like this would throw quite a nice light at night. On shorter, thicker logs there is always a danger of it splitting all the way to the bottom. In fact it is almost a given, that it will. If I know that I'm going to make one of these, "fire logs," I take a piece of wire along and wrap it tightly around the log at the point that I want the split to stop. Works like a charm. By the way, the short, thick logs make a really good cooking surface, but don't throw as much light as a tall "candle" type of log.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
The chainsaw versions often are refered to as star fires on the festival scene- one guy burns them partially then puts them out to invert & use as camp stools :)

I use pine if I can, even unseasoned works well but is a beeeatch to cut with the chainsaw down the grain. A good 8-10" round is great and will start with a well earned hobo stove brew fire emptied into it with minimal kindling, from the top down like your fire, Soeras :) And they go for ages, even though they can look like a pretty unpromising smoulder for the first half hour or so.

Mine are usually pretty low with the larger logs and fairly stable so good for inquisitive youngsters to have a supervised, educational play feeding and cooking on it :)

It's really brilliant to know how to do one with and axe and as a torch, absolutely excellent :) I understand you can improvise with a bundle of straight logs wired together although its a much faster burn with the extra air flow and will 'fall' and ground scar as it burns right to the ground... never tried it though :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I forgot to mention yesterday, that a simple and quick way to spread the top apart, is to find an appropriately sized stone (one that will fit into the top cuts.) and then using a stout stick, pound the stone down into the split. The farther it goes, the wider the gap will be at the top. When you are satisfied with the gap, stop. This eliminates looking for and making wedges. One warning: do not choose a stone from a river bed as it may contain water, which will heat to become steam and explode. Any other, non-porous stone will work fine. Happy lighting and cooking!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Cheers for the thoughts guys.

I have been experimenting with all types of candles over the last few weeks and You Tube has been an excellent resource for ideas.

I have tried out the bundled sticks method Turbogirl and it works well. As far as using a stone instead of a wedge Chinkapin I had not thought of it so another one to with the wire on the split method.

I have seen that video AndyBB and referenced it in one of my articles on that type of candle. You can see it here - http://www.bushcraftdays.com/how-to-build-a-finnishswedish-candle-dampwet-wood-part-2/

This is one of the articles that I have been writing and will post it up on BCUK here eventually - I am in the middle of testing out single log rocket stoves at the moment so a bit busy. Normally I would not link direct to my articles but I feel it is relevant here.

Cheers and thanks for all the ideas guys.

George

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Andy BB,
Thanks for the link. I like the idea of using the small diameter limb bundle very much. If I can escape hard manual labor, I'm all for it! I do see a couple of potential problems with this type of fire log however. First off, anyone using this method will be attempting to build a fire in among the small logs and as a consequence, the kindling will have to ignite the bark first, and the inner log later. Most barks don't really burn very well. At least until a fairly large amount of heat is present. The other problem involves wet wood. The bundle of small limbs will (if raining) be wet, so it will be even harder to light. A larger split log will, of course be bone dry on the inside, where the fire is going to be built, even if it is soaking wet on the outside. This set up will burn quicker, longer, and hotter with more flame and heat.
I like both of these techniques, and wouldn't say one was better than the other. The best thing is that each of them can be used depending on the situation and the availability (or lack) of saws and axes. I think if I was going to build a bundle fire, and If I had a hatchet, I would quickly knock the bark off of three or four of the logs prior to making the bundle and I would put them in the center and build my fire in the center of the de-barked logs. This would, in most cases, do away with any wet wood and hard to light bark, and would take very little effort.

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Great article that, learnt a lot from it - mainly that they could be made of something other than pine (such an oversight) and that you could split them.. Am going to have to try this now that I know that you don't need know both some serious sized seasoned pine And a chainsaw! Thanks :)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Bushcraft log candles are becoming a bit of an obsession to me know but I tend to work on one project at a time and learn as much about it as possible before going onto something else.

There are so many different methods and I am chuffed to see that folk are interested in this as well. There is so much more to these candles than just a chainsaw and a log. I am slowly researching the origins of them and Part 6 will be on the 'raappanan tuli' stove. This has been discussed on various sites and seems very easy to set up and is seen as one of the older Finnish methods. I know there are a few videos out there and blog posts on all these different candles but my aim is to put together a suite of articles in my blog and eventually on here.

I know where you are coming from with regards to damp wood Chinkapin and that is why I add a good sprinkling of resin into the tinder to really get the heart of the fire going. It is all about experimenting with different types so as to put together something no matter where I find myself with the minimum effort.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE