Article: Book Review - Invisible on Everest

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Looks interesting Tony. One question: do you think the lack of suitable kit in the early days was a real restraint or did they just go for it anyway? Mallory went to climb everest simply "becasue it was there". I love that spirit. I'm hoping you will say they went for it it anyway in a very Malloryesque way, despite the risks and even if some paid the ultimate price.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I've had a copy for over a year and makes fascinating reading, at least if you're the least bit interested in outdoor, and especially, mountaineering gear. The past is not yet past, of course, and many, including myself, still find the old equipment as useful and practical as things available today. Of course, some "obsolete" equipment has never gone out of production. Equally interesting is the history of mountaineering and hill climbing as they developed as sports. There are two points of sadness which he touches on briefly in the book. One is the shift in production to other places in the world, a phenomenon which occured in both the U.K. and the U.S.

Another point, which he may not have mentioned, is the takeover of smaller outdoor firms by large corporations as well as the evolution of some companies into entirely different companies, possibly because of market saturation. One problem experienced by all these companies is the passing of the founders, all of whom started out by producing a unique outdoor product. Many of them struggled to find themselves after that, while others failed to meet the challenges of the marketplace, which was always changing. Still, many of the old names are still out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE