Arthritic Labrador

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Folks

Looking for some help, I have a 9 year old Labrador dog with an arthritic elbow.
Up until the summer he showed no signs other than a slight limp and stiffness after prolonged exercise (4 hours). Very rapidly though he developed a pronounced limp, I believe after jumping stiles during a summer outing, and thinking back he showed some reluctance at the time to jump them but did so anyway without much encouragement.
X-rays shows that the arthritis is well advanced with some lose debris surrounding the joint.
Vets advise was initially absolute minimum exercise and hope that the joint settled down in conjunction with a course of injections (Carprophen I believe) and Carprophen tablets. This showed little or no improvement.
Highest recommended dose of Carprophen gave some relief but this is only possible for short periods as it can lead to damage to kidneys etc.
As an alternative he is now having Metacam added to his food but this is showing no real benefit. The vet cannot suggest any other course of treatment.
Exercise is down to a 500 m. amble each day, sometimes less all at his pace.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may relieve his discomfort or stabilize his condition.

Pothunter.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
My older Lab has had problems with arthritis and a pelvic bone spur for a few years. Day to day she ambles around freely (she is 12) but after a very steady outing shooting (generally I make her heel up with only the odd retrieve) she does stiffen up. Upon the vet's advice I keep some Rhymadil handy and usually give her one after an outing which ensures she's pain free. Might be worth discussing this strategy and drug with your vet to see if it's appropriate in your circumstances. Best of luck..... :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Rimadyl seems to work for dogs.It kept a 15 year old Labrador bitch active almost to the end.I've got a Flatcoat with a dicky elbow which plays up from time to time and Rimadyl gets him over it quickly.

The vet won't let me take it unfortunately. :rolleyes:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A friend of mine had a German Shepherd with a similar problem. She was concerned about the effects of the dog not getting much exercise. The solution was that we took it down to a local river 2-3 times a week and had it swimming. This seemed to do the trick as the dog was not putting weight on the joints just exercising them.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Another option you have is Aloe Vera. It's an excellent anti inflamatory and has worked successfully for both humans and animals in cases of arthritis. The product used is the aloe vera gel....a liquid that can be drunk or in the case of animals added to their food.

You just need to watch which product you buy as not all products are what they say they are. I'm a distributor, though not active, for a company called FLP (Forever Living Products) who are based in the US. They are the worlds largest grower and manufactures of aloe products and have the highest quality on the market.

When I was an active distributor I had numerous very successful results with my customers though I didn't have any that were using it for thier pets....I just know of other distribtuors who had results in that area....and there are more and more vets using it as they see the benefits through time.

At the end of the day all you can do is try it...they have a 60 money back guarantee so if you have not seen any results in that period just hand back the empty bottles and you'll get a full refund!

If you would like more info PM me and I'll send you some details. Also check out their website at http://distrib.foreverliving.com/marketing/changeSite.do?siteID=GBR

Hope this helps... Vince

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The glucosamine helps my neighbour's labrador too, and I take, and recommend it as well, even if I do take the vegetarian version.

Cheers,
Toddy

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It is by Lab stadards not yet a pensioner so it should still be ok.
With our previous family dog ( a rescued lab cross) it proved to be the final straw at the age of 13. Not bad for a dog who was chained up and fed on bread and water until he was rescued at about a year old. He used to bite himself due to the athritus as he couldn't understand why it hurt :(

I'd try Cod Liver Oil in his food, it can be used along with any other medication as, if nothing else, it shouldn't do any harm (my lab has it on his breakfast as a precautionary thing).
By means of illustration, my Grandmother took cod liver oil every day after she was diagnosed with arthritis (started in her knees & ended up in every joint in her body), she had read about it's beneficial effects in a book. She swore that it kept her mobile a lot longer than she would have otherwise been (over twenty years). She was a nurse in the 1930's & not one to listen to mumbo-jumbo so I've always seen this piece of advice as particularly valid.
Hope it helps,

Labrador

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I feed both my dogs one cod liver oil capsule a day. It's a preventative measure, both are young (ish) and don't suffer atm. However both are working dogs so the potential is they will suffer in the future.
After I've been working them for the day I put them in a coat to keep warm and dry them out quicker. That way they can have something to eat and curl up in the back of the Landy nice and snug - and I don't have to worry about them while I'm saying good bye to everyone.

Don't know how much of a help CLO would be in your situation but it might be worth trying???

Best of luck

Mark

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
I'd vouch for Cod Liver Oil.
Our two rescue grayhounds have oil in their food, and Cod liver Oil & Malt off the spoon too.
That took the stiffness out of the 11yr old, she now keeps up with the younger dog chasing squirrels.
In fact the Vet gave them both a clean bill of health recently.
Also, as a side effect, their coats have started to gleam too!

Jed

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Folks

Thanks for all your suggestions, the cod liver oil and swimming I think may well have some benefit. Previous dogs have had CLO but Sam has been having Joint Aid for Dogs by Gro-Well Feeds, its not possible to look back now and see if this has been of any benefit but the reports are that it works.

Unfortunately Sam now has a stomach bug probably something he picked up by the river, the vet is starving him for 2 days and no medication relating to his arthritis for 2 weeks!

Try explaining to a Labrador that he can’t have anything to eat, he has taken to lying in the kitchen doorway so as to keep an eye on anybody who might possibly be preparing food whilst expending the minimum of energy.

Sam has worked up until this season wildfowling, rough-shooting and picking-up probably averaging 2 days a week throughout the season, I can’t see him doing any of this again.

When he’s back to a normal diet I will review what he has been having supplement and medication wise and put up a post to let you know how he is doing.

Best regards, Pothunter.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I agree strongly with the idea of weight control. It is easy to get into a cycle of less activity due to the injury leading to less excercise and increased weight making the condition worse and leading to even less exercise and so on.
A strict diet should help. I just hope nobody tries to do it on me.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
hi,just noticed your post and i agree with the weight as he gets older,also have you thought about naf nafs joint aid,for dogs and dorwest herbs may have something to help.the codliver oil is ideal.the swimming will help but too much may have reverse effect as will swimming in cold water ie the wildfowling.at 9 yrs it may be time to retire the lab,which is hard for the animal but also on you as you have to keep it occupied to stop him from getting bored as like humans/animals if you mope around when you retire you go downhill fast.good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE