Army yoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Here's an example of baffled ignorance. I've been camping since I was a kid and have taught hiking and camping to teenagers for a number of years. One thing I've had little to do with has been modern army kit.

Recently I picked up a Snugpak Rocket rucksack, a very nice pack, well made and well laid out. It has two zip-off side pockets which can be removed and attached to an army yoke to for a small daypack, although no yoke was included. The company I bought it from, Adventure 1 in Scotland, very kindly supplied a yoke. So...

How on earth do the pockets attach to it? The yoke is clearly intended to configure in a variety of ways to a range of different modules and pouches. I zipped the pockets together, laid them out on the rear of the yoke and attached the straps and clips lying nearest to the buckles on the pockets. The result was symmetrical and functional, but somehow it doesn't look as though the pack should be supported on the straps the way I have it. Around the front of the yoke are two long straps which are just left dangling with nothing to clip them into. All in all it seems like a very complicated procedure to produce a flimsy and unsatisfactory result, so I am sure that I must be at fault somewhere.

I realise that it's very difficult to describe such a procedure clearly, but has anyone else tried a similar arrangement?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
OK, I've just grabbed mine:

At the top edges of the two pouches are a pair of small fastex-type buckles per pouch. Each buckle half corresponds to a male half on the yoke.

The ends of the shoulder straps have 2 male buckles; the lower one (on the loop of the webbing strap) is attached to the outermost female buckles on the pouches.

The base of the spine of the yoke similarly attaches to the inner pair of buckles.

The waist strap is threaded through the loops on the back of the pouches to give a bit of stability.

On the base of the pouches is a short length of webbing looped back on itself & buckled - I usually use that for waterproof/windproofs.

All excess lengths (eg the shoulder straps) have been rolled up & taped with electricians' tape.

If this doesn't make enough sense, LMK and I'll sort out some pictures!

HTH

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Fantastic! thanks very much for that, Peter.

I had left the pockets and yoke attached from the last time I connected them, so I compared what I had to your admirably clear instructions. Exactly the same! I think that I was thrown by the fact that the shoulder straps have those two sets of male buckles, and that the whole thing is only held on by the Fastex clips. Once I had connected the straps to the pockets I was left with that floating end. Still, it's nice to discover that I wasn't wholly adrift with my experimenting. I'll just have to trust that the plastic buckles will adequately support the pockets when they have a few pounds in them.

Since I shall only be using the yoke to form the base of this daypack I'll probably cut those dangling front straps shorter and remove the bits I find unnecessary, something I was obviously wary of doing until I knew it was connected correctly. Thanks again for the help.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Nice to see someone else had the same problem i had!
I couldn't figure it out either, had to go searching to web for images...
Found some though and set it up....

Now i'm missing the actual "front straps" (to go over the chest and down to make it wear-able), gah!!

Anyone got a spare set of them kicking about ?
Might have to post this on "wanted items" in here ;)

cheers
Carlo

D

Deleted 70

we are going to add some instructions and pictures on how to attach the yoke to the snugpak rocketpak it will be added to our web site www.snugpak.com in Jan 2004. Thanks for the input about the problems you are having we aim to please all as far as we can.

Regards,

Stewart
Snugpak

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I`m convinced that i have been sold the wrong yoke. There are no male buckles in the thing.

If its any help, there details of the yoke are ...
YOKE, MAINDPM, IRR
O.W LTD 1995

8465-99-132-4560
32a/6592

Is there a set yoke for the Snugpak rockets and if so, can someone post the info please?? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE