Army spec Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I heard recently of a Trangia used by the Swedish forces, that is designed specifically for arctic conditions. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, does anyone know anywhere to get hold of one?
Thanks in advance

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I dont know about that but I have just heard that they will soon no longer be available - appears the war stocks being sold off are depleteing rapidly!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Viking said:
The standard Trangia, is perfect for the arctic, it´s made for the arctic. But the mess kit is a lot cheaper.

Was gonna say the same. The commercial trangia suspends the stove off the ground, insulating it from the freezing floor. The army kit puts the stove onto the floor. I would think in freezing conditions, the commercialm version would be better, though I'm sure both would/could/do work fine.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Neil1 said:
The framed 35l pack on that Bargian page looks very good too, basic but bombproof (feel another "project" coming on :wink: ).
Neil

It is very good and it feels a lot bigger then 35 liter. I have used them a lot in the army, just bought me the larger one that is on 70 liters and it only cost me £11.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Viking said:
The standard Trangia, is perfect for the arctic, it´s made for the arctic. But the mess kit is a lot cheaper.

!! What was I doing wrong?? Mine used to get snow blown through its vent onto the burner, no matter which way I turned it. Also snow used to blow under the pans down onto the burner - when enough does it doesn't melt.
Sometimes there isn't any proper shelter to put it in!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
arctic hobo said:
!! What was I doing wrong?? Mine used to get snow blown through its vent onto the burner, no matter which way I turned it. Also snow used to blow under the pans down onto the burner - when enough does it doesn't melt.
Sometimes there isn't any proper shelter to put it in!

Are we talking about the same thing???
Never ever heard of people having trouble wit these in snow or windy conditions.

Trangia
kokstor271.jpg

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have used the Trangia shown in Scotland when snow-holing, the only problem I ever encountered was when the rubber seal from the lid stuck to the burner, it was a white-out at the time and I could barely see the stove, this did'nt affect the stoves performance one bit.
I've noticed that no matter how high-tec your companions stoves are it always seems to be the Trang that get used on "brew-stops".
Viking what is the fabric these sacks are made of?
Neil

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Viking said:
Are we talking about the same thing???
Never ever heard of people having trouble wit these in snow or windy conditions.

Trangia
kokstor271.jpg

That's the thing. It was admittedly the in the poorest conditions imaginable - a winter blizzard on the Finnmarksvidda. I guess you know the one, being Swedish. :) It was fairly late, with biting cold (I had no thermometer with me, but it was keep-moving-before-your-clothes-freeze-up type cold), with thick snow driven very hard over the flat land. :chill: There weren't any rocks or trees to hide it behind, but we eventually managed to dig our snow hole down to hard earth to stand it on. :)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
bigjackbrass said:
Excellent prices at Surplus and Adventure, but they do charge six quid for postage which seems a bit steep.

I bought a load of stuff of them a while ago and it still only cost six quid postage.
I think they just have a minimum postage charge, should be enough stuff on their website to make up a decent order. :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE