Army No 2 petrol stove

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Anyone have any experience of these? Wondering about buying one for base camp - It looks way too heavy to lug about!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yep, way to heavy to lug about but works well and is easy to maintain. An Optimus III is just as capable and more so in multi fuel- but not as cheap.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Thanks for that.

There's a cooker forum that I saw referred to on here, but for the life of me can't seem to find the link now! Anyone give us a clue?!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very heavy, small fuel tank, when they work they are good but they have awful reliability problems. If you do get one look out for the ones with roarer burners fitted as they work better. When the MOD modified the burners they dropped a real bollo*k. To be honest I've kept one just as a collectors piece but I'd not think of taking it away with me on camp.

The new army No12's are fantastic, burn paraffin and diesel (one of the few stoves that does burn diesel fine) but they fetch big money, as Widu says the Optimus 111 does a better job, is smaller in pack size, ultra reliable and affordable (budget £40-£70). The 111 roarer burner is a paraffin stove only while the 111T will burn paraffin,Coleman and meths. PM me if I can help further.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Richard,
Do you know of any other stove that perhaps is not so bulky thats fine burning diesel?
We have a diesel car now and it would be handy to keep a stove that burns the same fuel in the car for emergencies.
Alan
BTW I have two no 2 and they seem to work fine. Cost me not a lot and they are ok but not a stove I will use much so prob get rid of one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Salan
Most paraffin stoves will burn diesel but, the stove will need an extra priming with meths and you need to be prepared to clean the stove and your pans after use as its very messy fuel. Remember that 1 litre of paraffin will give you about six hours of burn at full blast with something like a 111, easy double that if you are simmering food. On a four day trip a couple of weeks ago I cooked stew, spag bol and more plus boiled water for brews and came home with fuel from the litre I took with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE