Arktis jacket another bargain? no, really!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i went down my local surplus shop and noticed an aussie camo jacket (same camo as the aussie hootch).
from previous research i instantly recognised it as an "Arktis jacket" (1011/1015) ie windproof or waterproof.

on inspection the jacket is brand new, infact unfinished, no problems.

£6.99!

not a bad saving on a £100.00 jacket!

only problem is this, when i say it is un-finished i mean it.

the front of the jacket zips, pockets, buttons, ect are all there it just hasn't been finished on the edges (hems) also it hasn't got any liner to speak of so just the ripstop camo material, much like the origional sas type jacket, though i realise not so great in the windproof area!
i've still not decided what i'll do with it yet but i have some options:

1. just tidy it as it is and use it as a coverall for my buffalo jacket which is windproof but is not very robust and has only one real pocket.

2. sew in another single layer windproof jacket insideout so i could potentially have a reversable jacket(nice but tricky!).

or

3. make a windproof liner, which would be alot of hassle, but would look better.

i guess the other point is that at the moment the jacket would serve well as a hot weather jacket simular to a US Army BDU jacket(inlined ripstop).

there is also potential for me to dye the jacket but i have no idea how well it would take the dye. but i like the aussie camo.

i took the jacket to a local wood hung it in a couple of trees 1 oak 1birch and some rough grass to see how well it works and i have to say it's pretty good.

any comments, suggestions, or opinions? :)

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I've dyed standard uncoated nylon but could never do it with polyester.

Check the dye box, likely you'll need a hot water dye rather than a cold weather dye. Use an old bucket as it will stain the plastic. I dump my dye water and rince water down the toliet and clean that well. My first time I dumped it in the tub and it stained it for months.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oh dear! nasty stuff dyes!

i think if any colour to go for is going to be medium brown (like a deer).

i've dyed other stuff in the past and it's gone quite well.
cheers!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
well after some cursing at the sewing machine and little bits of work here and there i have completed the jacket.

it is prehaps a little large for summer use but excellent worn over a snugpack type jacket.

i left the whole jacket un-lined, which means technicaly it isn't windproof, but i like the pockets and design anyway, it works well as a shell for protection against thorns/stings.

i am very happy with it though the camo seems a little too brown for summer i think it will be fantastic once autunm gets into full swing! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE