Are these binoculars any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'm looking for a more compact set of bins and came across these 'Yukon Sideview 8x21'. I liked the built in lens caps and they seem small and light weight. Don't know much about bins so would like to hear your thoughts on them.
I realise you can spend huge amounts on top quality binoculars but my needs are just a spot of bird watching really.

Cheers!

greensurfingbear

Comes down to why you want binos mate. I got by for ages with a pocket pair with about the same magnification as those, it wasn't until I started doing proper wildlife surveys that I needed a better set.

I use viking vistron 8x42 now but cost about £200.

Orric

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers for the advice. I'm only planning on using them for wildlife spotting really. Just happens that I got a voucher for a shop that sells these so wondering if anyone had any experience with this model.
I have a pair of Tasco 10x50 bins already but they are a bit bulky to slip in a pocket.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I take it you can visit the shop to try them, the seller being based in Hull too?

You really need to try before you buy, i'd say try the Opticron models if he has any, a very good brand at all prices as are Viking.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I take it you can visit the shop to try them, the seller being based in Hull too?

You really need to try before you buy, i'd say try the Opticron models if he has any, a very good brand at all prices as are Viking.

This might sound a little stupid but what should I be looking for when buying binos? Obviously the world getting bigger is a good start :D, but anything specifically I should avoid?
Slightly confusingly the voucher I have is for a camping store that stocks these although the seller I linked is also in Hull (didn't realise it until you mentioned it) he's not the fellow I'll be buying from.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Basically, first thing is, do they fit your hands and eyes comfortably.
Even the most expensive bins are knocked back by serious users because of that.

By trying them first, you'll find if the focus knob is user friendly for you personally, that you can see properly through the eyepiece lenses placement.
A good forum to read is birdforum.net, try and get ones that focus down to at least 3m.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Try to read a far away sign with several different pairs, the difference in quality of the optics varies greatly between manufacturers and their ranges.

Probably avoid anything with zoom, tends to bring the image quality down imo.

Look for a "field of view" figure. This is the area (width) that you can see at a given distance (usually 100m I think)
Larger area is good for acquisition, smaller area for detailed viewing.

Also look at the brightness of the picture. You can do a simple calculation to get comparible figures:

Eg. For a pair of 10x50 binos (10x magnification with 50mm objective lens) just divide 50 by 10 = 5. This is an ok value.

For a pair of 8x42
42÷8=5.25
This is a better value and these binos transmit more light to your eyes.

For 10x25
25÷10=2.5
These transmit half as much light as the 10x50s resulting in a darker picture.

Hope this all makes sense, should probably go to sleep now. ...

sent from my windswept fell using Tapatalk 4

greensurfingbear

I went with the 8x42 rather than the 8x50 as they allow more light in. I tried both sets in the shop they actually dimmed the lights while I read a poster on the other side of the room and the 'image' in the 8x42 was brighter. Size wise they are quite compact. Although I did buy a padded case to protect them so they take up a little more room in my rucksack. But I can honestly say I don't know how I managed wildlife spotting with my old pocket 8x25s lol

Orric

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Got to try them. I use a small, light, cheap pair of 8x21s when I'm backpacking to keep weight and bulk down but a pair of Opticron 8x40s for wildlife watching. The Opticrons are much heavier and more bulky but there is no comparison in the image. Decide what you want to use them for and have a look through them before committing to buy. Try your local RSPB centre - they often have very well equipped bino shops and let you try them out.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely try before I buy and let you know how I get on.

Cheers :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I've got one of the Yukon spotting scopes - its good value for money. Robust too. If the binos are similar they'll be ok.

Binos are a very personal thing, so go with what fits and what you are happy with. Various guides to buying bins on some of the retailers sights. Some of the Visionary range are very good, good warranty with them and not too expensive. The 7 Day shop 10 x 42's (see threads on here) ones are very good value for money.

You can get some really good deals if you go for the "old style" porro prisms rather than the "new" slimline types.

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've had several sets of varying quality over the years. For bird watching I'd be after something with a good field of view and quality glass. You can spend a fortune on bins but save for an extra month or two and go a little up market (and) or look at 2nd hand, you'll find a world of clarity not available at the lower end of the market. January and February are good for 2nd hand deals.

I was after a proper set this year but had to rationalise my ambition with the fact that I'm an occasional user so for me quality bins are a luxury.

A keeper pal got a new set of 8 x 40's 20 years or so back, I asked if I could look through his old set, which I was did looking up at a munro on a clear day and I could see figures on the summit but there was a lot of haze and I couldn't make out any detail, he let me look through his new zeiss bins and as if by magic I could make out the colour of the clothing worn by the summiters make out their movement direction of travel etc, the haze was much reduced, a mass more detail, and I've been after something of that quality ever since.

In the end, and after much sole searching and binocular gazing, this year I found and settled on a set of Minox HG 8 x 43, not cheap, but not £1200 either. I'm more than delighted tbh, I've wasted almost as much on poor bins in my time, every time I look through the now new-ish set I feel a little spoiled, and rather smug if I'm honest :D

So I guess what I'm saying is try them all, and be prepared to delay purchase and save a little more if you find something that does it for you .

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....For a pair of 8x42
42÷8=5.25
This is a better value and these binos transmit more light to your eyes.

For 10x25
25÷10=2.5
These transmit half as much light as the 10x50s resulting in a darker picture.....

I'm no expert on optics, but doesn't the math give you the size of the exit pupil ie. 5.25mm and 2.5mm?
If so, 5.25mm is way more than twice 2.5mm

The area of a circle is Pi multiplied by the radius squared, so the area of the exit pupil for the 8X42's is 2.625 X 2.625 X 3.14 = 21.6, for the 10X25's it's 1.25 X 1.25 X 3.14 = 4.9.

So the 8X42's actually allow 4.4 times the light to your pupil as the 10X25's

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers,

Stuart.

Last edited:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I'm no expert on optics, but doesn't the math give you the size of the exit pupil ie. 5.25mm and 2.5mm?
If so, 5.25mm is way more than twice 2.5mm

The area of a circle is Pi multiplied by the radius squared, so the area of the exit pupil for the 8X42's is 2.625 X 2.625 X 3.14 = 21.6, for the 10X25's it's 1.25 X 1.25 X 3.14 = 4.9.

So the 8X42's actually allow 4.4 times the light to your pupil as the 10X25's

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers,

Stuart.

I could be completely wrong, I was trying to remember something that my uncle sent to me 10 years ago.
And I was half asleep. ....

But surely the larger the exit pupil the more light enters the binos therefore the brighter the picture?

sent from my windswept fell using Tapatalk 4

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Basically, first thing is, do they fit your hands and eyes comfortably.
Even the most expensive bins are knocked back by serious users because of that.

By trying them first, you'll find if the focus knob is user friendly for you personally, that you can see properly through the eyepiece lenses placement.
A good forum to read is birdforum.net, try and get ones that focus down to at least 3m.
+1 sensible advice
Bins are a nightmare. You can get so caught up in the technology, the facts and figures, seriously it can do you head in. After trying many I've settled on a pair of Hawke Frontier ed 8x43. Opticron and Viking do good value bins and I would recommend 8x43. I think the pair you are thinking of will frustrate you very quickly. Don't be afraid to try second hand there are some great bargains to be had and if they don't suit sell them on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

But surely the larger the exit pupil the more light enters the binos therefore the brighter the picture?

It does, but the difference is based on comparing the areas of the exit pupils concerned rather than the diameters (the exit pupil calculation gives the diameter).

The 4x difference in light transmission between 8x21 and 8x42 can be significant in low light conditions - enough to get a clear image rather than grey mush.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE