Are there as many Collared Doves as there used to be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
We've all heard of the decline in House Sparrows and Starlings in towns and cities (for whatever reason) but we hear very little of other birds in decline.

One bird which I've noticed is now scarce in my area (in south-east Dorset) is the Collared Dove. It was originally an immigrant from south-east Europe which rapidly spread across Europe and eventually to Britain in the late 1950's, whereafter it became a reasonably common resident breeding bird.

I remember seeing flocks of up 25 daily in the mid-1980's when I started birding properly, and would frequently see small flocks of spring migrants flying north in April and May. However, since about the mid-1990's I have very rarely seen more than two and can go for several weeks without seeing any at all.

Have any of you had this impression or are Collared Doves still going strong in your area?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think official figures still have it increasing and expanding its range, check RSPB and BTO websites I am sure the info will be there. We have several residents which were not here 10 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE