Are skandigrind knives weak/ good for wood working?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah but I can make wedges from a 2 inch log with the Opinel and bash those in with another 8 inch log and get plenty off an 8 inch log. Taking the innards out of an 8 inch trout with a bilhook is a lot trickier than with the Opinel though ;)

Easy, just chop the trout in half.... spatchcock the bugger :D

I was thinking the same as HillBill but it is fun to watch this guy in the kitchen with a Khukuri (the fish work starts at about the 2:15 point https://youtu.be/0DHGlhFJH0g

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The kitchen knife I use most has a bladelength of 8 inches. Peel garlic, chop spring onions. Cut peeled sweet potatoes. Cut watermelons.
It is not the length, it is how you use it!

Sure you can open a trout with a billhook. As long as it has a sharp tip at the end of the sharp cutting edge!

You can even use an axe!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, so you can do everything with one edge. I won't celebrate that.
I have chalcolithic copper edges in my kitchen = kind of fun to use.

The real key is to have all sorts of edges at all sorts of bevel angles for all sorts of tasks.
And, you have the smarts and simple kit to make every one of them sing,
day in and day out, year after year.
If the implication is to chop ribs with a scalpel, I can't cheer you on.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yeah, so you can do everything with one edge. I won't celebrate that.
I have chalcolithic copper edges in my kitchen = kind of fun to use.

The real key is to have all sorts of edges at all sorts of bevel angles for all sorts of tasks.
And, you have the smarts and simple kit to make every one of them sing,
day in and day out, year after year.
If the implication is to chop ribs with a scalpel, I can't cheer you on.

Yes, I can cut ribs with a scalpel, as long as I can cut in the cartillage. In fact, I do as an Oral Surgeon. ( Check out scalpel blades no 11 and 15, my favourites)

The key is ( in the real World) to learn to use ONE knife, with an edge you can reproduce, for most of the tasks you can encounter.
If you want to be anal, I am sure you can carry 4 different knives, a couple of axes and two hatchets, just to be sure.
And set up a wilderness camp 150 meters beyond Sainsbury's carpark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE