Are mallards edible?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crimsonred

Mar 20, 2010
shropshire
pheasants are also on a closed season, but from what i've been told, if the landowner has given you permission, you can shoot them all year round. is that true?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
pheasants are also on a closed season, but from what i've been told, if the landowner has given you permission, you can shoot them all year round. is that true?

I don't quite see what the point of a closed season would be if people could make money letting you shoot on their land out of season by just giving you permission.

There's an exception in section 3 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act which might explain what you've heard if it had been misunderstood. But it's about "Areas of special protection" and restrictions over and above the normal closed season. See for example http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3614 There are also exceptions for deer, basically for farmers and other landowners to prevent the deer doing too much damage to crops etc., but it isn't just a matter of ownership. Of course things might be different if your grandmother happens to be the Queen.

Anyway, I think this discussion might be better taken to one of the shooters' sites. Although you won't find much meat on a willow tit, pretty well any bird is edible so the bushcraft aspects have been fairly well covered. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE