Are coarse fish safe to eat from English rivers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
What does everyone think about the safety of eating coarse fish from our rivers? My main worries are chemical contaminants such as agricultural run off, pollution from factories and even things like lead shot - the sort of stuff that can't be destroyed through thorough cooking.

My guess would be that it's OK in moderation but not something you would want to do every time you go fishing?

Cheers :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lead shot is still legal to use in size 8 and smaller anything bigger has to be non toxic, as far as eating fish, if you remove the fish (with the riparian owners permission of course, otherwise it's called poaching) from an area away from habitation, sewage works etc they should be fine, but of course you dont know how far that fish has travelled and what areas it's swam through on it's journey, not to mention what it might have eaten - your choice i guess, i do eat fish from one of my local rivers (chalk stream), but i also know the river doesn't run though habitation or industry, it does run through farmland and there is without doubt some run off, but im happy to eat the trout i catch and it's never done me any harm.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Lead shot is still legal to use in size 8 and smaller anything bigger has to be non toxic, as far as eating fish, if you remove the fish (with the riparian owners permission of course, otherwise it's called poaching) from an area away from habitation, sewage works etc they should be fine, but of course you dont know how far that fish has travelled and what areas it's swam through on it's journey, not to mention what it might have eaten - your choice i guess, i do eat fish from one of my local rivers (chalk stream), but i also know the river doesn't run though habitation or industry, it does run through farmland and there is without doubt some run off, but im happy to eat the trout i catch and it's never done me any harm.

Yeah I wouldn't worry at all if I was in an unpolluted area, but where I live there are towns and factories etc near by... :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not at all Santaman, have a read of the following link on UK Fishery rules regarding lead shot https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/tackle-you-can-use, btw and unbeknown to you, im a Fishery Manager and fully trained Water Bailiff, so have a fairly good knowledge on this subject.

Ahh. We're thinking at cross purposes I believe. You're speaking of split-shot as weights? Yes, I can see that as a fishing use now.

I was thinking the OP was asking about pollution from shot pellets settling from shotguns used for waterfowl. Hence I thought BR was joking about using a shotgun to collect fish.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Ahh. We're thinking at cross purposes I believe. You're speaking of split-shot as weights? Yes, I can see that as a fishing use now.

I was thinking the OP was asking about pollution from shot pellets settling from shotguns used for waterfowl. Hence I thought BR was joking about using a shotgun to collect fish.

Ah sorry I should of been more clear. Yeah I meant split-shot lol.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
I would think its ok to eat, after all the fish don`t seem to mind, if they look dodgy don`t eat, simples

It will be fine.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i haven't heard of eastern europeans dropping dead, probably the largest population of coarse fish eaters in the UK !!!

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
i haven't heard of eastern europeans dropping dead, probably the largest population of coarse fish eaters in the UK !!!

I'm not worried about dropping dead though, more about the gradual accumulation of toxic chemicals and heavy metals into the body potentially causing long term health problems.

Also, I don't know how clean the rivers are in Eastern Europe compared to in England, or whether there have been any studies into mortality rates or health problems of Eastern Europeans with diets including lots of coarse river fish compared to those who don't!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not worried about dropping dead though, more about the gradual accumulation of toxic chemicals and heavy metals into the body potentially causing long term health problems....

The obvious potential contributors would be lead as you mentioned and possibly mercury then. Maybe even arsenic? I've no idea what the levels of any of those are in your area though. Would it be possible to just have a sample of your catch tested? Anybody know?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE