Are all army blankets created equal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
Hi
Need a recommendation
Had a look on fleabay & there are Italian ,Russian US British & a Red Cross marked Swedish blankets
I need 5 for family camping so I'm on a bit of a budget
What's warmest but least likely to itch the wee men to death?
(& not horrify the wife if she sees the receipt)

Easy

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have an italian one and 2 swedish ones, both types are excellent.

I would say the swedish ones IMHO are the best, very thick and not itchy at all. I have used them 3 years in a row tent camping with SWMBO. I got minimal moaning so that says that they must be good as she hates wool!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In my mind the Dutch are great (really, really good). If you can find the Belgian ones, they are better IMO.

Red

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Plus one on the Dutch, my wife doesn't like wool blankets but she's been bumming up how good the Dutch one is all winter! Gotta be a winner if she's happy with it...

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Kev at Endicotts gets limited supplys of dutch blankets brand new, Give him a try hes very accommodating.

I know hes just got a load of Russian issue blankets in to try out.

As for Belgian blankets :- Transworld surplus had some in brand new unissued ones when I was looking at xmas time they may very well still have some. they were around £15 if I remember correctly.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've only used one in a hammock once for a couple of nights, with a sleeping mat underneath. I was too blooming warm and had to have it flung back most of the night, (july/august time).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE