Arbroath and Lunan Bay

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi Folks I am after a bit of tourist information. My wife has booked us to come up to stay
on an estate for half term. I am wondering whether to bring up my Canoe or not are there any good spots.

Also does anyone know of any good walks where I can do a bit of bush crafty type stuff with my 9 yr old son. We plan to visit Lunan Bay which is supposed to be lovely so I reckon we will have a few camp fire cooking sessions on the beach.

I know of the castles in the area etc but I just wondered if any of the folk on here were a bit more local and might know some good spots or things to do.

Thanks very Much

Andy......

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Scrogger,

It is a lovely spot and a fantastic bay, the tides can be pretty powerful round there and the weather can be brutal too. There's plenty of inland paddling too on some of the local rivers and lochs.
My home turf of the Angus Glens isn't too far away. Glen Clova and Glen Prosen start about 20 miles to the north west as the crow flies, Prosen was where Scott did some of his training for his antarctic journey, and there's always the Clova hotel below Loch Brandy for a good plate of stovies :D Plenty of scrambles, climbs, fishing and woodland to keep your son happy. As well as the castles there's plenty of pictish / neolithic stuff to see nearby and you have to head to Spinks in Arbroath for some smokies.
Have fun
Goatboy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks like a nice place to spend a few days Andy.

The camp fire cooking on the beach sounds cool aswell.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers guys I Am really looking forward to getting up there Pictavia looks great for the kids. I always try to cover some history type stuff with them without making it to full on so thats a great place to go to.

Now I am going to have to try and see if im allowed to come up in the other (uncomfortable car so she says!!!) with the roof bars on, as I fancy a bit of paddling maybe aswell as the walking.

Yes Lunan bay looks lovely Rich to be honest I can just sit for ages and watch the sea and the light change and I love rock pools etc. I am going to take my SLR and have a play
and might stick in the fishing rod (not that I will catch out) Then when I get back I am going to try and cadge a copy of photoshop of my mate so I can have a play.

Will let you know how I get on not sure about the forecast but im not bothered anyway as long as im out and about!!

Andy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
That looks interesting Tony I will have to show her that later. At the moment im trying to talk her into going up in the Ranger so I can take the the boat (Arwen is the fav at the mo for its name chosen by Becky) I am not so sure yet!!!!

She wants to go up in the estate as its faster and more comfortable but i aint got any roof bars so I would be snookered. I am not buying any as its on lease and is due to go back in June. Ill ply her with vino tonight!! and I have built her greenhouse after all and the canoe would help me get over the ordeal!! lol

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
LOL @ 'Arwen' !
Tell Becky to stick to her day-job (sabotaging answering machines ...)
I have some roofbars for a Saab 9-3 but being an estate yours' will have roofrails? I can't remember. Let me know.
You must have Leslie spoilt, that Ranger is both fast and comfortable!

Monikie park was one of the choices of venue, safe and shallow, for me to demonstrate to the Peterlee_Paddlette just how a wobbly-looking canoe is actually very safe.
Maybe end up at Talkin' Tarn like I mentioned last week.

Cheers.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lol Tony she likes Lord of the Rings!!!

My requests to take the canoe are falling on deaf ears!!!!

BUT I can go away for a few days once we are back.

The question is ...... Do I go backpacking with some nice high wild camps OR Canoe camping (maybe in Scotland) The only problem I have with the latter is the wee beasties!!

what do you think.

Give me a ring before 9:30 to let me know how Pauline is. I have to go out after that.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers Toddy I think thats why she chose this place for a holiday. she really dont like them midgies!!!

All caused by a weeks camping in Glencoe about 8 years ago, she always brings it up when I want to go west coast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Smart Lady :approve: I wholeheartedly agree.

When I was little holidays for most folk in my bit of the world were to the East coast, sunshine, beautiful beaches, and no midgies :cool:
West coast was just for boating around.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE