Arbortech Industrial Woodcarvers, any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Am considering carving some stuff that will involve quite a lot of wood being removed and I don't care about it being done in a traditional manner, I just want to do the job quickly.
THIS is the one I have been looking at.
The shapes aren't particularly complex so it won't need the small shaping attachment and the objects will be gartting sanded after the arbortech nas done its job.

Anyone used them at all? Good points and bad points if you have any views on them would be much appreciated.

Ta muchly, Scott.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They use one in the Galgael workshops, make beautiful things using it, especially for shaped deep things, like bowls from irregularly shaped burrs, and carving out recessed backsides in chairs.
It's like all tools though, they don't do it for you, you have to think about what you think you are doing with it. Not everyone does. :(
Those who use them really appreciate the speed they offer.
atb,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They use one in the Galgael workshops, make beautiful things using it, especially for shaped deep things, like bowls from irregularly shaped burrs, and carving out recessed backsides in chairs.
It's like all tools though, they don't do it for you, you have to think about what you think you are doing with it. Not everyone does. :(
Those who use them really appreciate the speed they offer.
atb,
Toddy

Great stuff, cheers.

Will have get into my local Machine Mart and see about one.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
they certainly do what they are made for, namely a wood version of an angle grinder. not cheap but they are a complicated bit of kit and are worth the money for the time saving and extra control you get.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have never used the tungsten tipped one but used the ordinary "pro" models a bit when they first came out. They do concaves quite well but need experience to get a smooth cut they are not so good at convex. I actually found them slower, less controllable and more dangerous than carving with the chainsaw, but then I have used and carved with saws for many years. No faster than a good adze either though not as long a learning curve to get it working, very noisy and fill every crevice with gritty shavings.

Can you tell I don't really like them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE