Appreciate your Horse Chestnut trees

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
The trees where I live (South London) are badly affected by the leaf miner. I had a close look down the end of my road when I first noticed it coming again this year. You could see where the miner had burrowed along and the fungi was following it in the little tunnels. At first I thought it was the fungi that sort of hollowed out the leaf but was talking to a bloke from the Wildlife Trust last week and he told me about the leaf miner introducing the fungi infection.

As the article says I don’t think the general public know about it. Earlier in the summer one of the tabloid papers had an article about the drought and showed pictures of horse chestnut trees with the leafs going brown :rolleyes:

I didn’t know about the bleeding canker. It’s very sad, they are lovely trees lining the street with their magnificent flowers in the spring.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've seen a fair bit of that around, and wondered what it was. At first I assumed it was something to do with the weather, but it quickly became clear it was some kind of blight. I didn't realised it was so big a problem, though.

Let's hope that the trees sort themselves out and that councils aren't forced to do a mass cull.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
rich59 said:
The horse chestnuts are under threat. http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=59757 Certainly around here in S.E. London the trees have had a severe leaf disease and almost all of them look like it is November. Are we going to lose many of them?

Horse chestnut trees are also among the first to drop all their leaves in a drought...

In any case, the horse chestnut is of use to neither man nor beast.

Other than providing conkers and shade.

And a bit of uninteresting wood.

Good riddance to them. Replant with something useful. I.e. with edible fruit!

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE