Apples, apples and more apples

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My apple tree has had a bumper year. It's a late ripening desert fruit, but it is sweet enough to cook with before the full crop is ready to pick. The winds this past week have dropped about 15kgs of decent fruit.

I'm scunnered making jam and jelly. HWMBLT and Son2 have had apple sponge, apple turnovers, apple crumble, apple pie, apple chutney.........you name it :rolleyes: 'til I'm fed up baking with them, and they have to be fed up eating it.
I've got some simmering down for leathers, and I've got the dehydrator full of pieces for munching and baking later on.

Does anyone have any other uses / ideas for using up the glut ? There has to be at least another 30kgs to come down.
I don't spray with insecticides, and the wasps and the bluetits attack some of the fruits, it means that only maybe 10kgs will be perfect perfect to store for eating as fresh fruit.

Recipes and suggestions gratefully received :D

cheers,
Toddy

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
this made me smile Mary - caits mum has a couple of apple trees and she has the same problem in trying to use or give them away.

Apple Juice - homemade apple juice is lovely.

Theres tons of recipes on the web but my gran always just chopped loads up, whacked in some water and simmered for a whilst before decanting and bottling. Another thing she used to make is ice pops from the simmered juice. The great thing about doing it this is that there is no hardcore pressing to be done.

This link is kinda how she did it.

I used to love raiding the pantry in the middle of winter for the jars of apple juice that were left - it made a nice change from the explosive ginger wine my granddad made :)

HTH

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah :D Scotland's full of fruit this year :cool:

I'm sooooo glad that's an American site, I'd spend a fortune if it were here :eek:

Thanks for the links.........now to find the jars here. Might just use my pickling ones :dunno:

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suggest the making of 1427 apple turovers. With glazed flaky pastry. Sprinkled in sugar.

And a courier

Pretty Please:D

Can you make them like the pasty shop on Cathedral Green in Exeter used to make them? Nice lumps of apple not just mush...all sweet and squishy.....

and the summers need to be warmer too......

And Dr Hook should be back in the charts,,,,,,,,,

and curly wurlys need to be longer too..........

<sigh>

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
oooh apple wine sounds very good indeed - think that might be a plan. Caits is on the phone to her mum just now and I have just laid claim to the apples this year (she seems quite relieved lol) but her mum has just also informed me that she has an apple press too! - looking quite forward to this now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apple turnovers with butter flaky pastry and crunch sugar glaze :D Yeah, with all the taste and calorific impact of a cobalt bomb :D I love the smell of them baking, and you're right, it ought to be soft, juicy, chunks of apple, not mush :cool:

(Gluten free flour doesn't make them well though :sigh: but I have had the crumble pudding :) )

I have made some sieved stuff into sorbet which is rather good with kiwi fruit and loganberries, and I simmered some down until it made a thick paste that I spiced with allspice and made apple rolls (like fig) with. That was a goodie too.

Apple and strawberry jelly was lovely, and the usual apple and rowan and apple and rosehip is incredibly sweet.

My neighbours are kind of baked out too, we've all got some in the freezer for later, but there's still so much fruit......where 'is' the best place in the UK to get canning jars ? Are there microwaveable ones ? Or do I just use the pressure cooker ?

cheers,
Mary

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
mmmmm

Calories consumed from apple dumplings, like time spent fishing, is not counted against you alloted quota ;)

Best place for canning supplies is Lakeland (now) or Ascott smallholders supplies.

If the apple is sugary it doesn't need to be pressure canned, water bath will do it for about 20 minutes in a hot oven.

Have you tried a sharp apple jelly?

Yummy with meat or cheese - like redcurrant jelly works!

Red

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
How easy would it be to juice the apples and make Cider or is this not a done thing, does it only work with pressed apples. We have a bramley apple tree full of apples at the allotment. last year we made loads a chutneys, jams , pies , etc etc,

Can this be done? (the cider that is)

Andy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Zoider! If you need to borrow a shredder or press, Davie at Edina Homebrew in Edinburgh rents his out for a tenner a shot. Nae bother.

Me, I'm scunnered wi' tomatoes and runner beans. The tomatoes I can just about deal with (do you know how many tomatoes it takes to make a jar of tomato paste? Lots!) but I have no idea how to store all these runners... My freezer is already full of rhubarb (and hops ;)).

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hadn't even occurred to me, for some stupid reason. Chutney looks like it might be an option too. I'm gonna need more jars... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE