Tree Identification Help Required.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
First post in a long time!

When we first moved to our current property we used to keep chickens and bantams and Sunday lunches were followed by eating our way in pie and crumble form through the glut of apples and berries that the garden produced, we then built a house on our property and this idealistic life fell to the side; we now have a desire to once again keep chickens and make the most of the small orchard.

Since moving in we have been unsure of what one of the orchard trees is, its an apple like tree producing fruit that hangs in clusters like cherries, i believe its some kind of wild apple/ crab apple tree but i would like to know exactly what species it is. For the first year if possible i want to harvest from the tree before the birds get to it and make something from the fruit.

Here are some pictures i took of the trunk, leaves and fruit with the hope someone might help me find out what the tree is.

IMG_1568_zpssyihf1yy.jpg

IMG_1569_zps68w5n8b1.jpg

IMG_1570_zpsxzdbnxna.jpg

The fruit is very tart and bitter but not an unpleasant flavor.

IMG_1571_zps9ihtcwsx.jpg

I also would like to know what species of apple tree we have if anyone can help with that.

Tree number 1.

IMG_1573_zps0g5lqfuv.jpg

Tree number 2. The fruit and leaves are much larger than tree number 1. We have always used these apples in pies and crumbles.

IMG_1574_zps5ixf8hlx.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
First tree looks like an ornamental crab apple

Second is an apple but what variety I've no idea. :dunno:

However... there's Apple Day coming up soon on the 21st October where there's events celebrating Apples and all their produces. . All though the celebrations are for the 21st lots of orchards and gardens open their doors and hold events throughout October. Have a look here for North Yorkshire Apple days, you ought to find one fairly local to you. :)

All the events usually have an expert or two to help identify mystery apples

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE