Apple wood

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi
Is Apple wood any good for using to carve or turn with Its just that a neighbor has just had a tree taken down, and I can have some of the timber if I beat her brother in law to it he just wants it to burn on the fire would like to make something from it .It is just that I planted the tree 15 years back when I lived there

Matt

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a lovely wood :D
I have a spindle and distaff made from it. The spindle on my oldest spinning wheel (dated to 1746) is made from Applewood. It's a beautiful light coloured timber that mellows out to a honey colour. It makes great utensils too.
One of my little pin bowls is Applewood as well.

Folks like burning it because the wood can smell very sweet.

Bound to be other folks along singing it's praises :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. If you peel the bark off, you can sometimes see a kind of feathery swirl of the grain. I don't know how well those pieces carve, but it made a beautiful staff for a friend of mine.

Last edited:

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks for that I'm not sure what length the wood is in but will have a good look in the morning when I make it disappear :D

Matt

applewood is a joy to carve
i am currantly making a crook knife handle from a piece my grandfather donated to me.
i have already made the obligatory spoon from another piece, as toddy said it has a beautiful colour to it, its also very easy to carve.
you can still burn the shavings from carving thus getting the merits of the nice smell still, or use it for smoking foods
Sam

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Vote one more for apple wood. It's a shame people insist on burning it - same for pear. There should be plenty of smaller branches for the fire but if you can snag some of the larger stuff then go for it

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Apple wood is very nice to carve you can get a very smooth finish.
I made this kuksa from an apple wood burr.

kuksa2.jpg

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Yes Yes Yes
Apple makes lovely spoons, kuksas, etc. Do work it green as it gets very hard when dry so work it done as much as you can green and only do the finishing cuts when dry.

here are some of my kuksas made from apple wood from Dartmoor
kuksa-sm.jpg

I used branches that were at least 6 inch or more in diameter and avoid the pith at all costs, to avoid splitting

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks for the thumbs up on the Apple wood
I managed to get some of the wood a couple of the bigger bit but its only about 6" across the rest is only about 3" will post some pic's when I've done something with it

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE