Apodemus sylvaticus - the wood mouse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Many years ago when I lived in an old house in London I woke up one Sunday morning with a mouse on my chest ... it was a flying mouse - although up to that point in its life it had never flown before :) Anyhoo - that was our old immigrant friend Mus domesticus, a species that originally arrived from Asia on traders boats. The house mouse is responsible for much of the bad image of mice. It is the house mouse that gnaws at skirting boards and leaves that mousey odour. Its true that our native mice also take the opportunity to eat whatever they can find in our houses if we are untidy enough to tempt them inside in the first place, but they tend to spend most of the time in their natural habitat of mature woodland and hedegrows. Years later I had my next encounter with mice in the house ... this time a family of yellow necked mice (Apodemus flavicollis) decided to nest in the roof space of the farm workers cottage we lived in. The yellow-necked mouse is very similar to its cousin the wood mouse (sometimes also called the field mouse), but gets its name from the thick yellow band of fur that stretches between its forelegs. The wood mouse is passive when handles, but the yellow-necked mouse squeals and struggles. Unless you live in the South of England or the South of Wales, you are unlikely to see a yellow-necked mouse. The wood mouse on the other hand is our most abundant natural rodent.

Cheers guys!

Stephen - the mouse was probably about 6-8 feet away. Had the Canon 100-400 mounted on a 350D ... its a brilliant lens (although because of its push-pull design it is known by some as the dust pumper ... I'm going to see how much dust it pumps before I put it on my 40D).

Oh, I also used a little fill flash ... and I also cropped the original a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE