Anywhere like Brockwell Wood in Yorkshire?

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Does anybody know of anywhere like Brockwell Wood in Yorkshire, ie a Woodland with camping and fires allowed? Looking for something a little closer to me for the moment.

TIA.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey Adz,
Mere Farm campsite in Burton Fleming allow campfires (raised ones but they can loan you a fire pit), not much in the way of trees but its the only place I know of. The owner Rob's a bit of a character so worth a visit but not very 'wild' I'm afraid.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thnx for recommendations guys but I was looking more for a commercial woodland camping like Brockwell as I fancied going that route first for practice before I start going stealth. Unfortunately doesn't look like we have anything like that here. :(

However that Rough Haywood and surrounding areas has been added to my list of future possibles as it has a train station close and only £28 return. Do you know of any woodland areas like that which are close to train/bus stations?

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Hillbill have you camped at rough heywood before? thinking of giving it a go with the mrs as she just got some gear we want to test and it's nice and local to us. I know with it been the summer holidays it will probably be packed but wondering if it's worth a trip after all the kids go back to school.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
I have camped at Rough Hey a few times, its a basic site with toilets and showers. I have been a couple of times at weekends and it does tend to get a bit boisterous with a few teenagers camping out there, beer and campfires bring out the best in our youth. But during the week it is peaceful and usually very quite. The manager provides you with washing machine drums to burn your wood in which are ideal. You can buy sacks of wood or bring your own, waste of time trying to collect wood locally as it has all been scooped up a long time ago. There is a nice little cricket team clubhouse adjacent to the site, they welcome campers and the beer is reasonably priced. great area for level walks or bike rides as its next to a disused railway that passes through extensive woodland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE